We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Just can't say "book it", 10 yr anniversary

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Just can't say "book it", 10 yr anniversary

I've been reading this forum for days/weeks now. At the same time, I've been working with a travel agent to plan a 10 year wedding anniversary for myself and my husband in August. We were married in Jamaica and had an amazing experience (Couples Negril). We want to replicate that experience - beautiful beach, amazing food, drinks, relaxation, etc.

We were open to travel just about anywhere in the caribbean/south pacific and our travel agent said THE place to go it Zoetry Agua. I openly call myself a hotel snob and don't want to be let down.

I just can't put my finger on why I haven't already told her to go ahead and book the trip. Some of my concerns are below. Any words of wisdom? Anything I'm not thinking of?

Thank you!

My concerns:

Is DM the place with beautiful, white sand beaches with great ocean swimming?

How bad is the bug problem, really? Awful?

I've read the bathroom windows at Zoetry don't have glass so the air conditioning isn't super effective. True?

Can you drink the drinks with ice? I know that DM has water concerns (we didn't have those issues in Jamaica)

I've also looked at Tortuga Bay (is it worth the extra $$).. and lots of posts about Iberostar. Which is the best of the best?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,415 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Just can't say "book it", 10 yr anniversary

Hi

Having been to the Dominican Republic several time as well as Jamaica as well as having stayed at Zoetry Agua I think I can have a shot at replying

"Is DM the place with beautiful, white sand beaches with great ocean swimming?"

It is nice but not IMHO as beautiful as Jamaica or some other islands

"How bad is the bug problem, really? Awful?"

We have never had any major problems and it is certainly no worse than Jamaica

"I've read the bathroom windows at Zoetry don't have glass so the air conditioning isn't super effective. True? "

Certainly true for the room we stayed in as you will see of you read my review

"Can you drink the drinks with ice? I know that DM has water concerns (we didn't have those issues in Jamaica)"

Yes, we have never had a problem as they use purified water for all ice and food preparation and there is loads of bottled water

"I've also looked at Tortuga Bay (is it worth the extra $$).. and lots of posts about Iberostar. Which is the best of the best?"

Cannot comment about Tortuga Bay as we have never stayed there but would suggest you may want to look at Sanctuary Cap Cana - again check out my review which have links to large photo albums

tripadvisor.co.uk/members-reviews/flipflop_m…

IBG just does not appeal to us

We would have no issues going back to Zoetry again and the only reason we did not book it for a few nights for our next trip was that at the time of booking they had planned to be doing some construction but this has been shelved for the moment

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,938 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Just can't say "book it", 10 yr anniversary

becky, Zoetry is a really nice resort but read about it to make sure it is what you are looking for in a resort. The sand is a very light tan but the beach is beautiful and the water is calm. The resort is very quiet and not at all like a sandals. Never had AC problems at Zoetry in 3 trips. Only complaint was the water was not always hot in the shower. Very good food, beautiful rooms, great service and very tropical. If you look at an aerial view of Zoetry you can see the reef that keeps the water clear and calm right in front.

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Just can't say "book it", 10 yr anniversary

Becky, it's true that everyone has different expectations and even different perceptions of what a resort has to offer; and even after research, some people will report that their resort of choice, turned out not to be for them. It happens.

We pondered and researched A LOT before choosing Zoetry for our upcoming honeymoon. (We'll be there in 43 days)

But for us, all our research and talking to people like flipflop, bbgamer and others who have been, we knew it was the right choice for us, based on what we were looking for - quiet, small resort, great beach with calm water, nearest resorts are far enough away that beach is not shared and feels crowded, reportedly excellent food (while subjective), 24 hr. room service, friendly staff, personal attention and tropical surroundings. There are activities available, but not the "go-go-go" animation teams like I've read about at other places.

We have learned that bringing mosquito repellant is a must, but this is mentioned in reviews of other resorts as well. I've read that mosquitos may be a bit of a bigger issue in August, due to increased humidity. Also helps in repelling sand fleas at the beach - again, happens elsewhere also.

Bottled water for drinking and brushing teeth.

Surely, not everyone will have the same vacation experience, as we're all different, but we're going with an open mind and the confidence that the homework we've done, leaves us with realistic expectations. But if something is preventing you from just saying "book it", sometimes it's good to go with your gut - Tortuga looks/sounds incredible, and is at the top of my "wish list". If we ever win a lottery, THAT'S where we'd escape to!!!

Congrats on your anniversary, good luck choosing and I hope you enjoy your vacation, wherever you should find yourselves :D

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Just can't say "book it", 10 yr anniversary

Can't find any RECENT review of yours on sanctuary cap Cana. 2010 is a bit dated.

Scranton...
Level Contributor
2,470 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Just can't say "book it", 10 yr anniversary

Can someone clarify about the roof at Zoetry Agua...is it like a hut there? Trying to plan my first trip to DR, but a reviewer mentioned having lots of cockroaches in the room, and also about the roof being straw??

wisconsin
Level Contributor
828 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Just can't say "book it", 10 yr anniversary

I have stayed at couples negril. Loved it.....the beach was great and the water so calm, we loved laying out on our floaties instead of staying in the pool.the food and drinks amazing! I don't really know what the water/beach are like at zoetry. I imagine though, that the food and drinks are amazing. We have been to suns capes, dreams and secrets, and have loved all of them. We are going back to secrets royal beach this year for 2 weeks and bringing my sister and brother in law with us, because we know that they will love it as much as we did. We actually liked it even better than couples! We had no complaints about anything while we were there. The nay thng you might not like is that the beach and water are not like bloody bay. We love small adult only resorts and this one is great!

Arkansas
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Just can't say "book it", 10 yr anniversary

We were in the DR Punta Cana 4 years ago. I read and read and read. We ended up at the Iberostar Bavaro prior to the Grand Bavoro was built. We are headed back in a few weeks!

Was it a 5 star Hotel? No! We got exactly what we paid for. Read lots of complaints about the food? I love food! It was great, no complaints!

Room service 24/7. I have been to Jamaica, Barbados, Costa Rica, Mexico, Aruba, Domican Republic and so on. Aruba and the DR are a tie for the best sand, the beach was the best. We really never got in the pool. They have a decent Disco/ Night Club that opens at 11pm. Lobby bar has better liquor, call names. I thought their beer " Presidente" was great, ice cold. The rooms are nice, a little out dated but very clean and nice! We asked for a de humidifier in the room that cut down the musty smell that comes with the DR being very humid. The service was a 10 where ever we were on the Hotel Grounds.

The ice is fine, it is purified. Dont brush your teeth with bathroom water or drink it. The room has a refer with beer, water, sodas and so on.

We're going back so? The Grand Bavaro is adults only, Butlers, better liquor and the same beach. The Grand is about $1500 more for a week for 2 people than the Bavaro. Have fun on your 10th. Joe

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
406 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Just can't say "book it", 10 yr anniversary

I've read a lot on here as I planned our trip and if WHITE sand is important to you, that will actually depend on where you stay in PC. It seems to be a tanner or browner (is that even a word?) sand to the north and whiter to the sound.

Or browner (still not a word?) to the south and whiter to the north.

Or something like that.

But the postcard beach picture IS important to me, so if it is to you too, keep researching!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,415 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! Just can't say "book it", 10 yr anniversary

caylismom

Yes the building roofs are thatched - see link to my photo album below

travel.webshots.com/album/581617608MWVboB

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,938 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! Just can't say "book it", 10 yr anniversary

Before anyone rules out the beach at Zoetry, which is one of the nicest beaches I have ever seen, you should take a look at the beach pics on the reviews. They also have the infinity pool which overlooks the beach.