We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money matters

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Money matters

Is it safe to leave cash, and other forms of monetary payment in the safe at the ME hotel or should I bring something else to keep my money safe? And do they take travelers cheques? Last does anyone know what the cost is to use ATM machines.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,624 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money matters

We have always kept all of our valuables in the safe and knock on wood we have never had a problem.

I would not suggest travelers cheques.

Marlborough...
Level Contributor
324 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money matters

Hi,

I used the Atm. Max of $5 I think. They only give out pesos.

We have been using our safe without a problem or fear for 8 days now. I don't even lock up my kindle.

From all the other posts, traveler checks are nearly useless. If you want to use a credit card in shops, reemember to call and let them know you are traveling so they do not suspect fraud.

Nahville, TN
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money matters

We have stayed at the ME 4 times and have never had a problem. I do have a travel safe that I put my cash in and then lock it in the safe. Travelers cheques are useless in Punta Cana. Never used the ATM can't answer that one.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,235 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money matters

The safe should be fine.

Use ATMs for pesos (only give pesos) and let your home bank know your are going to be here or they will put a hold on your card fearing fraud.

Also remember the $10 visitors fee when you land and the $20 exit tax when you leave. Both need to be paid in USD>

DO NOT bring traveler's checks. They are useless here.

BObK

5. Re: Money matters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2013, 05:47