We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dominican Republic vs. Jamaica

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Morris Plains, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Dominican Republic vs. Jamaica

Can you tell me the difference between the two? Want to stay 5 nights . 6 days. To give you background we've been to both Aruba and Playa Pariaso (Iberostar Grand) and loved both. However, we are not ones to just sit at the beach all day. We will get very bored. We like doing excursions. For example in Aruba we did ATV Tour, Jolly Pirates snorkeling, and a few others. In Playa Pariaiso we did Zip lines, swim with the dolphins etc. We also like to participate in stuff going on at the resorts. Which Island is better for us and why? Please get back as soon as you can. Thanks.

Lee's Summit...
Level Contributor
508 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dominican Republic vs. Jamaica

You can do all those types of things in both places. Jamaica has a stronger, more accessible reef system for snorkeling and diving. I prefer DR's beaches, though you'll find plenty of people who feel otherwise. Jamaica naturally has an upbeat, active vibe. DR is more low key. I'd say Jamaica is probably your spot. You might look at Costa Rica as well. You'd love it, and there's so many excursions and things to do.

Mount Juliet...
Level Contributor
200 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dominican Republic vs. Jamaica

I agree, Jamaica.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
4,562 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dominican Republic vs. Jamaica

Negril, Jamaica for the white sand beaches. Jamaica doesn't have the glitz and glam resorts but is more tropical and romantic. The Jamaican vibe is addicting. It's so much fun and the jerk chicken is fantastic.

Punta Cana is perfect for a laid back beach vacation.

I would agree with post #1 and #2......for your criteria, Jamaica. It cannot even be compared to Aruba and you won't find the Grandness of The Grand Paraiso (one of my favorite resorts) but you will find something very special and different about this island.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,798 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dominican Republic vs. Jamaica

Hi

Jamaica is certainly more upbeat and is far more Caribbean than Dominican Republic

We have also found the food to be better in Jamaica

What you have to watch for in Jamaica is where you stay as some of the beaches can be poor and/or man made and some local vendors can be very much in your face and troublesome

Love both destination for different reasons

Rochester NY
Level Contributor
252 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dominican Republic vs. Jamaica

so what Jamaican resort would compare favorably with say the Majestic Elegance or Iberostar Bavaro

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
4,562 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dominican Republic vs. Jamaica

There aren't any that I know of that compare with those two.....my picks would be:

Sandals Whitehouse (they are having a 65% off sale on their web site)

Couples Swept Away

Couple Negril

Secrets Wild Orchid/St. James - outside of Montego Bay

I would also post on the Jamaica forum.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
4,562 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dominican Republic vs. Jamaica

My niece just got back from The Jewel Dunn's River Resort and loved it. It's in Ocho Rios and there is a ton of stuff to do there. She said the beach was great and they had a blast. Climbing Dunn's River Falls is a must. (not an excursion you would want to do from Negril) I read where The Jewel may be changing to a family resort sometime at the end of the year but I can't verify that.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,798 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dominican Republic vs. Jamaica

If you check out my online album you will find a large photo album and several videos for Secrets Wild Orchid & Secrets St James

community.webshots.com/user/flipflop_man

I also have a review for the property

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
229 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Dominican Republic vs. Jamaica

Secrets St James was an amazing trip. I would recomend it. There are plenty of things to book off resort. I am a fan of both Secrets and Iberstar Grand brands in Mexico and the DR. Secrets Mo bay was very nice.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dominican Republic vs. Jamaica

We just got back from "the DR". No comparison to Aruba. DR you're locked in the compound/resort eating garbage "All inclusive" food and drinks. In Aruba, you have the entire beach and Palm Beach restaurants/shops/hotels to hang out in.

Just go back to Aruba!