We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spearfishing Punta Cana

Louisiana
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Spearfishing Punta Cana

Hello! We are leaving Monday for Punta Cana staying at Barcelo Bavaro Palace. My son loves spearfishing and is curious to know if it is allowed right off of the beach (He is not going for big game) or if there are excursions that he could do that specialize in this. He has his own equipment but it would be much easier to rent. Does anyone know if there is a company that rents this? Best area to spearfish (closest to the area we will be staying, preferably). Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,079 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spearfishing Punta Cana

I wonder if the resort will cook his catch for him? Otherwise, what will he do with what he spears?

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spearfishing Punta Cana

I have seen fishing from the beach by pole and net and scuba divers spearing fish and THINK I have seen people wading in the water fishing.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Spearfishing Punta Cana

In that area all the resorts provide roped off swim zones for their guests as there is a lot of fast boat traffic outside of the roped off swim zones. So one would be very unwise to venture snorkel-mode outside of those roped off swim zones.

There is nowhere in the area that rents spearfishing equipment and no excursions that specialize in spearfishing.

You might be able to hook up (scuse the pun) with local fishermen who will take you to a suitable area to spearfish but bear in mind that sustainable fishing is not on their list of priorities. Local spearfishermen are decimating the aquatic life in many areas of the island. I have witnessed, on numerous occasions, spearfishermen with a huge catch of tiny and juvenile reef fish. If you kill off the juvenile fish what will be left in the future?

Unlike Deep Sea Fishing you can not "catch and release" with spearfishing. Do you really want to contribute to the demise of the inshore fish population? Ok rant over!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spearfishing Punta Cana

YB1, I've seen what you mean. There's a guy who spearfishes in front of Cat Royal. He seems to be taking many small fish. As you likely know that area is a perfect fish hatchery. I'm concerned for the future fishing.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,079 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spearfishing Punta Cana

YB1.... thanks so much for your post. It's the direction in which I wanted to go, but didn't want to stir the pot.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Spearfishing Punta Cana

@margadagio the area and fisherman you mentioned next to Catalonia Royal is one place I was thinking of. That shallow area and the outer reef is popular with many local spearfishermen.

@allynsteve On second thoughts, your son's spearfishing could have positive results! if he targets the invasive population of lionfish. They are most everywhere. The calm shallows to the right of Catalonia Royal are a good place to find them.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spearfishing Punta Cana

Yes, the lionfish would be a good target. Take all of them. Both them and the spearfishermen are a serious concern.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
51 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spearfishing Punta Cana

When I was at the Royal Catalonia in June, I saw two guys in full wetsuit gear walking down the beach. They were carrying spearguns also. They had come from the undeveloped section of the beach at the right of the resort (when facing the ocean). I did not see them in the water in front of the resort.

As Marge says, there are Lionfish at the resorts artificial reef. I saw four at once one day. They don't move much so you would not need a gun, just a handheld spear. I cannot speak for what marine life resides along the coast where the two guys had come from.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Spearfishing Punta Cana

Local Spearfishermen usually swim til outside of the Reef to hunt on the Reef's side of the open Water, looking for the lucky bigger catch of the week to sell, and yes, they sorrily also take every little one they can on the way, even rays etc etc.

Spearfishing in a Area at a Hotel, where many Guests are also in the Water, wow, I would name that a Kid with a Gun in Public, a Speargun, quiet scary.

at the Hotelbeaches you are anyways only allowed to swim within the roped in swimming areas, and there spearfishing is of course not recommended, would anyways not much to be found to shoot there.

to spearfish at the Reefs with Local Fishermen would be something for a tough Pro, Shark attacks on their Catch tied up to their Body are not seldom, and they spend many consecutive hours there to get their daily and nightly catch.

I would recommend to rent a speedboat with a knowlegeable Captain who brings you to a secluded Area where Spearfishing could easily be done without anybody else in harms way, but still, why to shoot the Fishes when they can not be sold or eaten afterwards? and still the Reefsharks on the Innerside and all the Sharks on the outer side of the Reef are present, always.

Happy Travels

Mike

10. Re: Spearfishing Punta Cana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2013, 10:16