We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there any issues with luggage pilfering at airport?

Phila, PA
Level Contributor
175 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Are there any issues with luggage pilfering at airport?

We are leaving next week out of JFK and are trying to decide which luggage to use. Are there any issues at Punta Cana airport with luggage going missing or items being stolen? We could all carry on and then have one or two checked bags with large toiletries and extra items, but carrying on can be a lot of trouble if we end up having to wait for checked bags anyway. Of course, things can happen on the JFK end too.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
441 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are there any issues with luggage pilfering at airport?

We have never had problem, of course we dont; put our camera, or laptops or anything expensive in the luggage, those are in back packs with us, I guess it can happen anywhere and has but we have never experienced any problems

On
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are there any issues with luggage pilfering at airport?

Valuables should always be in your carry on ( as well as a change of clothes and your swim suite )

Edited: 23 July 2012, 15:20
Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,462 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are there any issues with luggage pilfering at airport?

Pilfering can happen at any airport in the world. I don't think it is any worse here. We have never had anything go missing in 7 years of traveling back and forth.

Be careful and as mentioned above do not pack any valuables (money, jewelery, cameras, laptops, ipads, phones etc) in your checked luggage but rather cary these items in your carryon.

BObK

N. Atlanta
Level Contributor
879 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are there any issues with luggage pilfering at airport?

Never had a problem. Could happen I suppose but I wouldn't let it be a main area of concern.

Shediac, Canada
Level Contributor
738 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are there any issues with luggage pilfering at airport?

Never had a problem in 5 years, but as said, keep your camera and any valuables in your carry on along with a swimsuit, (check in is at 3pm) and you will be fine. Leave all your fine jewelry at home and anything else you could not bear to lose .... and be sure to secure a safe at the resort in your room (leaving cell phones, chargers, cameras, ipods, etc. out in the room, at any resort, is a chance you are taking, as would be travelling anywhere) Enjoy your vacation!!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are there any issues with luggage pilfering at airport?

most hotels have wrapping machine to wrap your cases in clingfilm for a few dollars . so while you are waiting on the bus pick up there is always a man doing that in the lobby area. this will secure your case hopefully.

Phila, PA
Level Contributor
175 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are there any issues with luggage pilfering at airport?

Thank you so much for all the responses and good info - I'm glad to hear that Punta Cana airport is no worse than the usual - it's a lot of pressure to go carry on only.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,207 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are there any issues with luggage pilfering at airport?

question about that cling-on wrap I've seen at the airports, I've noticed it's BEFORE you check your luggage... so what happens if they need to inspect it?

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,462 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are there any issues with luggage pilfering at airport?

I think they take it off, inspect and take what they want, then re-wrap it??? :)

BObK

Marlborough...
Level Contributor
324 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are there any issues with luggage pilfering at airport?

When we left, someone had their suitcase wrapped but as they were loading it on the plane, someone or a dog detected something. So she had to unwrap it on the tarmac and go through her suitcase while being watched by security.

Was a huge time delay and embarrassing as heck.

You can buy a suitcase strap that wraps around the middle of the suitcase and has a sort of buckle type clip. It is not that secure but it makes your luggage a lot harder to be opened by "bad people".