We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping vs. Gifting - Which would you advise??? (GBP Ambar)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping vs. Gifting - Which would you advise??? (GBP Ambar)

Forgive me if this is a redundant post, I haven't been to all-inclusives in a long time!

I was planning on bringing a bevy of school supplies to give the housekeeping and other staff, in addition to cash tips here and there.

However, I am reading conflicting views on giving anything other than cash, but I also hear that school supplies are in great need.

Advice is appreciated!

Cheers

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,578 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping vs. Gifting - Which would you advise??? (GBP Ambar)

We always tip and then leave a little gift as well. School supplies will always be appreciated and if they can't use them they will certainly know somebody who can :-)

allentown,pa
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping vs. Gifting - Which would you advise??? (GBP Ambar)

I gifted a backpack and the maid was thrilled. Just make sure you leave a note for management explaining what you gifted(this enables the staff person to be cleared to leave the hotel with an item other than they are allowed to bring to work)

On
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping vs. Gifting - Which would you advise??? (GBP Ambar)

We tip, but also bring small gifts for staff , one trip a fav bartender wanted my hair clip, I told her I would bring her one next trip. When we returned and I gave out the hair things , the next day one of the girls who had been off the day before ( she was one of the group that have always given us great service) asked if I had any more hair things.

DH bought some heavy duty rubber gloves for his fav pool guy as he had noticed that he was using bare hands to clean the pool, pool guy was happy) We don't bring gifts for everybody just those that we interact with ( we don't leave gifts for the maid or the mini fridge guy as we rarely see them. We do however leave tips them tips daily)

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping vs. Gifting - Which would you advise??? (GBP Ambar)

I also do both..................We tip in cash but always bring something in the way of gifts for the maids, bartenders, etc.

Scranton...
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping vs. Gifting - Which would you advise??? (GBP Ambar)

I was curious about this as well, since I have never been to an all-inclusive. What is an appropriate amount to tip? A couple bucks when you get a drink? Is it similar to what you would tip here in the states? Are tips expected?

Scranton...
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping vs. Gifting - Which would you advise??? (GBP Ambar)

Forgot to add that I thought I read on some other reviews and posts that you are not allowed to tip at some places. Is this true? My husband and I are good tippers when we go on vacation, but I'm not familiar with how it works in PC.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,578 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping vs. Gifting - Which would you advise??? (GBP Ambar)

Tips are not expected but they are appreciated :-) I have never come across a place in PC where tipping was not accepted (if you go out to eat I think I recall being told that gratuities are included at some places but I'm not 100% on that). How much you tip is a personal thing. We tip one dollar each time we get a drink, a couple of dollars at breakfast and lunch, dinner depends on whether it is a buffet or a la carte. If it is buffet usually around $3 and at an a la carte usually around $5. Some people tip more, some less but this is our general guideline. If someone goes above and beyond than the tip will increase but if the service is non existant than the tip will be less or nothing at all. Just as at home, I will not tip just because - if the service is terrible than the tip will reflect it.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping vs. Gifting - Which would you advise??? (GBP Ambar)

My tipping guideline is exactly the same as cairo. As well I give a dollar here and there to the gardeners and the guys who work so hard keeping the beach clean all day. If I see them I'll give a dollar sometimes to the ladies who keep the common area bathrooms so nice and clean.

9. Re: Tipping vs. Gifting - Which would you advise??? (GBP Ambar)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2013, 10:15