We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about GB Esmeralda - Restaurants and Food

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
134 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about GB Esmeralda - Restaurants and Food

Hi all,

My family and I will be going to the Esmeralda in August. My grandmother's 90th birthday will be while we are there. Have any of you celebrated anything like this at the Esmeralda? What sorts of special things do you think they could do (cake, decorations etc?)?

Do any of you have a recommendation for a restaurant that we could take her to? We were thinking of the steakhouse but there are 2 (arrecife and garden grill?) or italian (we are thinking the one in the Esmeralda). We are 9 adults but also have a 6yr old with us, so we can't go to the Ambar restaurants. Is there another recommendation any of you have?

Also, is there any place that does hibachi? We were at another resort last year and they had it, but would not let kids sit up front. It is a little confusing to know which is the right Japanese restaurant to make reservations at since there are 2 - Maiko and Mikado. Any preference?

Finally, other than the Gala night on Thursday at the buffet, is there another buffet night that you recommend?

Thank you so much for your time!

-nathalie

London UK
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about GB Esmeralda - Restaurants and Food

My Wife had a nice Birthday Cake given to here in the Don Pablo last year - I'm sure they would do the same in any of them if you inform them of a special occasion, just ask Guest Services.

The Buffet is good every Night and Day, in fact we scaled back our visits to the A la Cartes because we preferred it most times. imo.

Didn't go to he Japanese last time but they are very much the same wherever you go in the DR.

snooks

DDF
Whitby, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about GB Esmeralda - Restaurants and Food

Email the resort 7 days prior and put in your requests as well as your ala carte restaurant wishes. We love the Garden Grill, but the Italian at the Esmeralda was very good, that way you don't have to take the tram to the Garden Grill (but having said that, it isn't very far). What I did for a very special anniversary was email the resort and gave them dates for our ala carte restaurants and chose one for our anniversary night and requested the cake for that evening. As for decorations, they may put balloons in her bedroom, but I have never seen the restaurants decorated. They do, however, sing happy birthday to guests.

Have fun, it is a wonderful resort.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
134 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about GB Esmeralda - Restaurants and Food

Thanks Snooks. What was the charge for the cake? I just want to make sure it is nothing too exorbitant given that we are 10 people. =)

London UK
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about GB Esmeralda - Restaurants and Food

No Charge. It was quiet a big Cake so we took it back to the Room and it was very nice but we never did eat it all!

It was Chocolate with Real Chocolate allover.

The even offered to have it delivered to our room but we took it ourselves.

snooks

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about GB Esmeralda - Restaurants and Food

Nathalie, we were at Esmeralda in July, the Arrecife steakhouse was not open at that time, it is open air and I think they don't open in the summer because of the heat.

We ate at the Italian at Esmeralda with a large group and it was very good, however it was rather difficult to reserve for a large group. They do have special rooms in some of the restaurants that they use for weddings, this might work out for you, they might charge a little extra for this.

Also we ate at the Japanese Maiko the other one was not open. We had our young grand daughter with us and there was no problem with her at the table. The dinner there was excellent the best hibachi we ever had.

Also I believe there is a childrens show at 6:30 near the main lobby, we did not attend, we usually ate at 6:30. Hope this helps

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
134 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about GB Esmeralda - Restaurants and Food

Packerone - Thank you so much for your note! That is very helpful indeed!

Did you have a problem reserving a table for a large group in any other a la cartes? I read in one of the TA forums that sometimes they sit you in separate tables,

illinois
Level Contributor
130 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about GB Esmeralda - Restaurants and Food

Nathalie V

I'd suggest the Italian ala carte at the Esmeralda for at least two reasons. First, with a 90 year old getting to the restaurant from any of the buildings in the Esmeralda is much easier than taking a tram to one of the other resorts in the complex. Second, we celebrated our anniversary in May with our family and the Italian at the Esmeralda was one of the few ala cartes that enabled our group of ten at one table.

The only other restaurant that allowed all of us at one table, other than the buffet, was the Japanese restaurant in the Bavaro section at the show table.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
134 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about GB Esmeralda - Restaurants and Food

Thanks realapprsr - that really helps!

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions about GB Esmeralda - Restaurants and Food

Hi Nathalie, I agree with realapprsr go with the Italian at Esmeralda.

We did try to reserve for our large group at the Japanese Maiko and it did not work out, the Italian at Esmeralda was what they suggested to us. We were not disappointed. When we went to Maiko we were five plus our granddaughter. Hope this helps

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions about GB Esmeralda - Restaurants and Food

Hi Nathalie, I just realized you are a group of 10, you should be able to reserve without difficulty. we were a group of about 20 and that was the problem.

Enjoy!