We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NOW Larimar - should I book it? Any pointers?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chicago
Level Contributor
112 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
NOW Larimar - should I book it? Any pointers?

Hello - never been to DR, thinking the Larimar looks pretty good. Can anyone tell me:

What kind of beer?

Top shelf alcohol?

Any reefs/rocks on the beach to make for good snorkeling?

Any reason to/not to choose this resort?

What resort would you choose instead?

Thanks for your time!!!

Newfoundland
Level Contributor
481 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NOW Larimar - should I book it? Any pointers?

Book it !!!! If it is in the budget I would highly recommend oceanview Preferred Club. Top shelf liqour & my husband enjoys Presidente beer so not sure about other brands. The resort is orientated to pleasing it's customers. Beach is very wide & good swimming, not sure about snorkeling but we did see a couple fish in by shore.

Stow, Ohio
Level Contributor
885 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NOW Larimar - should I book it? Any pointers?

When I stayed there in Feb 2011 [was the NH Real back then], they had a pretty decent selection of liquor. I'm a vodka drinker and they had Stolis, Finlandia Cranberry, and many flavors of Absolut. The only beer I saw then was Presidente [which I like], but have read recent reviews that some bars have Corona and I think maybe a Miller product.

I did the Preferred Club and had a great room and loved the private pools and lounge. Not sure if things have changed since it became the Now Larimar.

You responded to my thread about the Square Deals - I'm kind of hoping we end up here - would love to go back even if it's not in the Preferred Club. What month are you thinking of going here?

Michelle

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
12,697 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NOW Larimar - should I book it? Any pointers?

Forget the snorkeling...not the beach for that. As for top shelf....very limited selection....mostly for those of the Preferred level...all others will simply be "International" brand...which should never be confused with "premium".

The beer will be Presidente. Anything else will be...again...for the Preferred level guest and in limited supply.

Decent middle of the road resort with a good beach an location for doing things off the resort.

You are required to wear long pants in hot restaurants, thus make certain you have very lightweight clothing...can get very uncomfortable as noted in a good number of reviews.

Cheers

PCMike

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
124 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NOW Larimar - should I book it? Any pointers?

We stayed at the NOW Larimar resort last year. It was our second time at an AI and first time to Punta Cana (the year before we stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe La Romana). We traveled with family - range of ages from 5 to 89! I though the property was very pretty and the liquor was good. The buffet was a notch above La Romana but I did not like that they had no reservations for restaurants. We ended up waiting over an hour or longer any night we wanted a buffet. They also would not let us sit together and there were some shady deals going on with them letting some people cut ahead in line. Entertainment was also a step up. However, we ended up arguing really badly with management towards the end of the trip. There were multiple incidents that happened that we just let slide and slide. Finally, I got my foot tore up on the beach with some glass that had been shallowly buried. They did nothing for me - and I was bleeding profusely on the beach! Anyways the entire experience left a bad taste in our mouth. We are going back to the Gran Bahia Principe brand this year and will stay at the Esmeralda. Management was horrible last year. Just my experience.

Edited: 02 August 2012, 13:58
chicago
Level Contributor
112 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NOW Larimar - should I book it? Any pointers?

Thank you everyone, for all of your input....things to consider!

chicago
Level Contributor
112 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NOW Larimar - should I book it? Any pointers?

December 2012. How much was the up-charge for the preferred? I am sure it will $$$ in the winter..

Stow, Ohio
Level Contributor
885 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NOW Larimar - should I book it? Any pointers?

whitesandsChicago,

When we went in Feb 2011 it was only $147 for the week to upgrade..we had three single rooms booked so not sure if that was per room or per person, probably per person. At $21 a day, it was a no-brainer at booking.

Even though I booked a Preferred Club Tropical View, I was on the 4th floor facing the resort next door [which is now Secrets] and could definately see the ocean from my balcony. I was very pleased with my room.

Michelle

8. Re: NOW Larimar - should I book it? Any pointers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 01:15