We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trips

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
116 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trips

Any suggestions on day trips from punta cana? Staying @ Riu Palace and renting a car for a few days. Thinking about La Rommana, any sights along the way or ideas on waht to do?

Thanks!

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,853 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trips

Not to burst your idea but along the way is the town of Higuey, not much there except a local life. Driving in the DR is not something I advise folks, do not drive at night please and take out "full" insurance. La Romana and Bayahibe are great visits but to drive around, not sure you would find the jewels.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
819 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trips

Very dangerous o drive down there! Don't!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
116 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trips

Ok, should have stated that I have driven here berfore (and worse places). Last time in DR I picked up at SDQ and drove for a couple weeks around Boca Chica and Juan Dolio area. Are the roads really worse than there?

Doesnt look like much in Higuey so I am thinking la romanna. Anyone been there know of any sights, restaurants sight seeing??

Edited: 02 August 2012, 23:15
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
116 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trips

FYI... I have the rental car, drove to Higuey, La Romana and all around punta cana/bavaro and I really don't know what the fuss is all about with peoples concern about driving here. It is not the USA, but not a big deal at all. If you like to actually visit the country, then by all means rent a car and get out of your resort. It is also very inexpensive.

allentown,pa
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trips

I lived down there a couple of years ago...well actually 20 years ago. I loved to go to Altos de Chavon in La Romana and Casa de Campo. In Higuey we would stop by the Basilica. Just be sure your gas tank is full.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
53 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trips

The catholic church in Higuey , Casa de Campo/Altos de Chavon...cost like $25 a person to go in and drive around... Cuevas Maravillas is west of La Romana.. driving you just go with the flow but beware the police and DNCD have been setting up checkpoints lately...looking for drugs and guns.... just play the "Gringo" card and you should be ok!

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trips

Driving around Punta Cana and the following places is no worse than driving around Boca Chica and Santo Domingo!! Less stressful actually.

The new motorway between Punta Cana and Bayahibe will be open around 10th August 2012. This will make the trip an easy driving one and cut the time down from 90 to 45 minutes. The motorway is called the Coral Highway and starts from a big roundabout just before Punta Cana airport - see this map puntacanatv.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/P… (btw contrary to the map info, it is not a toll road).

Bayahibe is a nice, clean and safe little fishing village that offers a view of daily life here. It's also the launch spot for boat trips to Saona Island. See this map for what's around the two bays bayahibesup.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/B…

La Romana town is a further 25 minute drive west of Bayahibe.

Cuevas Maravillas is a further 20 minutes west of La Romana town explorelaromana.com/en/explore/cueva-de-las-…

You could also visit Macao beach which is about 20 minutes north of RIU resorts. puntacanatv.com/macao-beach-punta-cana.html

20 minutes further north of Macao are the Uvero Alto beaches - wilder and less crowded than Bavaro beaches.

South of RIU you could visit the fresh water lagoons (Indigenous Ojos Eco reserve) puntacanatv.com/indigenous-eyes-ecological-p… about a 35-40 minute drive from RIUs. (Take ID with you to pass through the security gates) Same applies for Juanillo beach in Cap Cana - 15 to 20 minutes from above fresh water lagoons and eco reserve. see maps on http://puntacanatv.com/maps

Have fun exploring!

8. Re: Day Trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 01:16