We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Resort Solicited a TA Post / Hmmmm

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
406 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
My Resort Solicited a TA Post / Hmmmm

So I am trying to decide how I feel about this and mostly thinking it was ok. But I have to tell you that it changed my perception of the employee just a bit. And I saw others doing it too so I knew what was coming when she asked us.

I won't name the resort because I do not wish to bash anyone - it was a good property. But when an employee works so hard to make a connection, to be special, it really helps to make the trip.

On our last day, a waitress gave us her card - it was the resort's card encouraging a review on TA - she had written her name on it, where she worked on the resort, and the words, "Five Star." She then asked us to mention her on TA and we HAD to put five star. She was still smiling but repeated her instructions several times.

So I see nothing immoral or wrong about this. She obviously would have to provide great service for someone to follow through. But it did make her connection with us seem a bit disingenuous. There have been employees throughout our travels that were special and remembered and never asked for anything in return.

Of course we KNEW they were doing their job and getting paid and didn't wish to make us lifelong friends. But those special people are so genuine and can really make the difference in a resort.

This card and request took away from that. I felt a little more like a number and a little less important. And again, this is ok. I'm really not that important! lol She did a great job. But we spent most evenings getting to know her a bit and it just didn't feel right, I was kind of deflated.

So to the resorts I would recommend you find a way to continue your battle for advertising and positive PR without taking away from the employees and connections that make your place special. Be active on TA, I appreciate that.

And to the travelers that read reviews and may not be experienced TA users, just understand this phenomena is sometimes a part of it.

Hamilton,On
Level Contributor
490 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Resort Solicited a TA Post / Hmmmm

So they are still doing that? Nothing has changed then from the 3 times we have been at the same resort :)

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
5,928 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Resort Solicited a TA Post / Hmmmm

Yeah but it's not only a resort thing. Have been to a few local restaurants and hotels where they give you a card with their web site on it and they ask you to go and comment on your dinner and or stay. At the restaurants the server usually leaves her/his name on the card for us to comment on their service. I think it's just the fact that everyone is connected now!

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,102 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Resort Solicited a TA Post / Hmmmm

This is a great post. Thanks for sharing your experience. I think I'd come away with exactly the same feelings as you've expressed. We like to think we make connections with the folks we meet during our travels, but it's disheartening to think that the other party had an ulterior motive.

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
406 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My Resort Solicited a TA Post / Hmmmm

Ha! See, it was the first time in our travels that we experienced it.

And it wasn't a huge deal. But I remember thinking that I wondered what the TA community felt about the practice.

Cortland, New York
Level Contributor
3,534 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My Resort Solicited a TA Post / Hmmmm

We have been handed TA cards at check out from the front desk at resorts and hotels that we have been to. Basically the card just asked us to write a review. IMO that is OK. But for a staff member to solicit a mention in the review, and telling you how many stars to put on your review is definitely over the line. That would affect my review -and I may even mention it when I did my review of that resort.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,102 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My Resort Solicited a TA Post / Hmmmm

what's different in this case, sackie, is that a good review was explicitly solicited. I don't typically make a connection with waitstaff at a restaurant where I will be for one meal, as I would with someone who works at a resort who I might see several times a day, for a week or longer.

Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My Resort Solicited a TA Post / Hmmmm

This would bother me. I work in customer loyalty, and this is considered "gaming" surveys, which to me, is unacceptable. If someone were to ask me to do that, I'd give them a lower score mentioning what they had done instead.

It just makes me feel like the sole reason why employees are providing good service is to get mentioned in reviews/get good scores, when instead, they should be doing it because they genuinely want to make each guest's experience as enjoyable as possible.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My Resort Solicited a TA Post / Hmmmm

I was asked at a hotel last winter if I would like to write a review and give my honest opinion. I don't mind a business doing that. If they had asked me to call it a 5 star, even if it was, I'd be inclined to give it a 3 just because they rubbed me the wrong way. I also decline from mentioning staff names because I feel almost everyone has worked hard to make my stay enjoyable.

Arnprior, Canada
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My Resort Solicited a TA Post / Hmmmm

Yes, this is a good post. I have never been given a business card, however, I have been encouraged (after telling them what a good time I had), to be sure to write a review. I have not been asked to include anyone's name however, after reading quite a few reviews on a certain hotel over the past few weeks, I did see a certain individual's name in many of the posts so I suppose that either, he did a really good job, or he handed them his card. There are many guests that really get to know the staff and their names, it certainly does make for a great vacation.

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
406 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My Resort Solicited a TA Post / Hmmmm

Thanks for your input everyone, I go back and forth.

She did seem genuinely friendly throughout and I'm sure there is pressure on her to succeed. I guess I saw it as a resort thing more than employee thing.

One of the most mentioned and popular guys in TA for this resort there did the same thing to a table beside us. BUT, his service was remarkable and he was truly a neat person. That's what makes it hard for me to decide how I feel.