We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Excellence Beach/Ocean

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Secrets Excellence Beach/Ocean

I've heard that the ocean water by secrets is a little rough.... but is it still pretty carribean water?

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Excellence Beach/Ocean

Ocean is beautiful, you get rough waves in front of it, but if you walk to the right, the water is swimmable, you can even snorkel.

You have to be extremely careful in the area where the black flag is displayed, the currents in the afternoon are so strong, we have witnessed a pretty young, fit couple screaming for help, and watched them being dragged out into the deep waters, until a life guard jumped in with flippers and a boogie board. It took him a long while to bring them back, and they were absolutely exhausted. We were so worried, they were so far out, sometimes you could barely see them in the waves.

It amazes me how many people are careless on that side of the beach, there is a BLACK flag clearly displayed, and in the afternoon it is dificult to walk in there, only 3 feet deep. How anyone would want to swimm there is beyond me!!!

If it is a sunny day, you will get beautiful colours of the water. But be smart, take a 5 minute walk to the calm area, and you will be fine, it's on the right hand side, just around the bend. Many people swimm there.

Medford, New Jersey
Level Contributor
298 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Excellence Beach/Ocean

This topic has been beaten to death, but I feel it is only fair to hear both sides to this story. There was not one day that you could snorkel while I was there. Not anywhere within a mile of secret's. And there was only a few days that were OK to swim. Water was blue, but cloudy due to the turbidity. It may have been different when I was not there, but that's how it may be when you go so be prepared. Below is my answer to a previous poster who suggested that it is always calm a few hundred yards down the beach.

Paul G.

"Also, I hate to admit it but lasmith is telling the truth. There were several days while my wife and I were there that the surf was rough all the way down to the next resort. I brough my snorkling gear with me and although I tried to, there was just no way you could snorkel, period, not one day. I don't care if you went 100 yards or 1000 yards down the beach. The water was very rough, and so cloudy that you could not see 5 feet in front of you face. That is the honest truth. I walked all the way down to whatever the next resort is (I did not bother to look which resort it was, I just turned and walked back to Secrets) with my snorkel gear in hand one day, and never found calm clear water.

There was also several days that the undertow was seriously trouble for all but the very best swimmers. I have lived on both coasts of the US, never further than an hour and a half from the ocean. I have been swimming, surfing, boarding and boating for most of my life up and down the east coast and in California. And I can honestly say that the week we were there the surf was VERY rough. Don't get me wrong, I loved it. I love big waves and strong surf. I had a blast boarding on the days we were let in. But there were a couple of days that the current was way too strong to have inexpereinced swimmers in the water, and the lifegaurds were not letting anyone out past their knees. My wife is also a lifelong coasal resident and she went in once, and did not go in again after that.

Call me a liar if you want, but that's how it was. I love the resort and can't wait to go back. But I'm calling it as I saw it."

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets Excellence Beach/Ocean

Just put secrets water into your search browser and you will get all the info you need. We have traveled and seen many beautiful beaches, Secrets is beautiful too, but it is rough and can be dangerous as previously noted. We also swam to the right of the resort in calmer waters, but there was still an undertow, still much coral to cut your feet on without aquasocks and when I was there, you COULD NOT see the bottom much less snorkel. My husband did try to snorkel and proceeded to knock his head into a piece of coral sticking up that he could not see literally inches from his face. Needeless to say, we gave up. Some have reported calmer conditions and being able to see fish. Anyways, read a little and make your own decision. Even the most seasoned Secrets fans will tell you as Bela did to be careful. Resorts towards Bavaro have calmer waters and you may wish to check them out too.