We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

to call, or not to call....from Majestic Elegance.

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
187 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
to call, or not to call....from Majestic Elegance.

I've researched the archived topics but need a bit of clarification on calling home to the States. Best to buy international calling card and take with you, buy card at resort if available, and do they have pay phones to use these cards, or simply use FaceTime on I-pad? I can use FaceTime with my sons but I need to call at least once to check on my elderly Mother who lives alone. This has never felt like a problem on other islands...I'm with Verizon and they don't seem to have a calling plan for the DR and they said I should simply leave phone at home so I will not get charged if someone texts or calls. Only need to call for a few minutes to check in....what IS the simpliest way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: to call, or not to call....from Majestic Elegance.

Would your family be able to call you? We have found this to be the easiest way as I also need to be in contact with my family when I travel. We buy them a cici card and then write down the phone number of the hotel and let them know what times we will be in the room (early mornings or when we are getting ready for dinner etc.). It's really inexpensive to do it this way.....

Avon, Connecticut
Level Contributor
395 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: to call, or not to call....from Majestic Elegance.

We have Verizon as well. I had international calling put on my cell phone before we went and then had it removed when we got home. I think the fee was only $5/month. I believe it was only 5 cents to receive a text, but 50 cents to send one. We did use this a few times as it was nice to have the option.

However, we found the easiest thing to do was as Cairo said- to pre-arrange a time to be in your room and have home call you instead. We left our 3 young children home with my parents so it was important for us to connect with them each day.

Princeton Jct., NJ
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: to call, or not to call....from Majestic Elegance.

If you have an iPad, the easiest and cheapest way to call home is to download the Magic Jack app for free. All calls from anywhere in the world to U.S. and Canada are totally FREE! I used it last time I was at ME. It worked like a charm.

4. Re: to call, or not to call....from Majestic Elegance.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 06:15