We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Russian roulette with travel med. ins.

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
303 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Russian roulette with travel med. ins.

Ok so, I really want to do this right. I would like to buy travel medical insurance that pays the hospital/ med centre up front and is accepted in the Dominican Republic. My husband and I both have coverage with our work but I don't feel they are adequate. I have already purchased our trip through Expedia and I am not an RBC so I believe that limits us from purchasing RBC insurance as it seems many people here recommend. Can I buy RBC insurance only at a travel agent or do I have to purchase the trip their swell. Can anyone recommend an insurance they have had to use in the DR that was accepted and if they would pay in case of a hospital stay or Ar Vac upfront. I know I should start calling the trav ins companies and asking but I always feel like I am getting the run around, I would just like to narrow it down. The price is really no object but the best coverage with pay up front is a must.

I have read almost all the past threads... I still feel like I am playing russian roulette with insurance. Any comments especially from one whom have had to use their plans how they worked out,

Barb

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
303 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Russian roulette with travel med. ins.

This is not meant to scare people I am just trying to be informed and know what I am up against in the event that I am faced with having to use the travel insurance I have bought and in the past I now realize I was probably putting myself at risk with high medical bills or even maybe an air vac situation that for the most part I don't think that my Med Ins. would have covered up front even when we added blue cross on top of our work plans. We still would have be faced with astronomical bills that I am not sure we could have handled *in a hurry*.

Edited: 21 August 2012, 15:39
Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,604 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Russian roulette with travel med. ins.

Just to clarify, what you are looking for is a recommendation for a travel insurance plan for a Canadian Citizen that is directly accepted as payment by a Dominican Doctor/Hospital in-lieu of you having to pay them upfront via cash or credit card, and then wait for that company to reimburse you for those costs???

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
303 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Russian roulette with travel med. ins.

Yes, Travel Pro198, I am hoping to find one that would do that. Not neccesarily for a small emergency, but I don't want to go bankrupt over a trip to the Dominican that my husband or I or both had a major emergency. The other thing that is unclear to me is if you have work travel ins. and you also purchase travel insurance from another company then how would it work in the case of an emergency? Do I have to try and call my work trav. ins. first...then the one I purchased or can I just go ahead and call the one I bought and they would settle the cost with my work provider after the fact? Is the insurance I bought gonna tell me on the phone to call the other one (which I am pretty sure is not gonna work in the DR) ? Thanks.

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,604 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Russian roulette with travel med. ins.

Here's a link to an informative blog regarding this very issue:

tripinsurancestore.com/blog/…

With regards to which company pays first, if the trip is a personal nature and you purchased trip insurance in association with that personal trip, that carrier will be the first to receive any claim, followed by any secondary travel insurance plan in-force, followed next by any personal health insurance plan in-force.

If your trip is for business, then your work travel plan will be first, followed by any secondary trip insurance you may have additionally purchased, then followed by your personal health insurance plan.

Yes, confusing. But actually a common concern in the travel biz. Hope this helps!

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
303 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Russian roulette with travel med. ins.

Well my work travel plan is with a group medical ins plan as an added value. I did get a wallet card to travel with but no brochure to tell me about what is covered, Anyways I would hope if I bought travelsafe or travelguard they would pay upfront.....who knows. Alot simply state they will do it if it is available to do so at your destination which means....again...who knows. I checked out the website but it doesn't seem to work well as it wouldn't even give me one qoute when I filled out the form.

Thanks Travel Pro

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Russian roulette with travel med. ins.

I use Manulife travel insurance and have found them great to deal with. The RBC rates always seem quite high to me, but then I guess I only see them as single trip policies (I buy an annual policy as it is cheaper for me).

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
303 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Russian roulette with travel med. ins.

I read the Manulife policy, I think I have read all the policies out there at this point...lol...jeez they are just so interesting of a read.......NOT. I was kinda hoping someone with first hand experience with any of the travel insurance suppliers would chime in, or better yet the major canadian suppliers.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
303 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Russian roulette with travel med. ins.

I just thoroughly read the Travelsafe Classic protection offered by Insure my trip and it seems to check off all the I wants. it looks like it uses ONE CALL world travel assist. I am having a hard time finding any info about them. Has anyone used Travelsafe in Canada?

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Russian roulette with travel med. ins.

Barbie63...I am just reading over my Travel Guard Canada plan ...In the section XV. Claim Procedures, it states under "To Claim for Emergency Medical & Dental Benefits" : You must notify us at (ph#......) prior to any emergency medical treatment & prior to any surgery, invasive procedure or hospitalization. Our assistance co-ordinators will ....etc. We will make every effort, although we cannot guarantee, to pay providers directly. You must provide us with receipts for incurred expenses including those for subsistence allowance expenses.

And if you look closely on the Travel Safe website, Travel Guard is listed as one of the businesses in the TripinsuranceStore.com website. I'd deal with a Canadian company, for piece of mind!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,541 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Russian roulette with travel med. ins.

Travelpro - the info you provided is not correct. Note also that the OP is located in Canada not in the States so the link provided is not very useful.

Barbi, the insurance you have through your work would kick in first as they are considered first payor. Any secondary insurance would be considered a top up. I would contact your work insurance to find out exactly what kind of coverage you have. Mine indicates that I must pay first, however, they will settle with the medical facility directly in the event of a huge bill because who has hundreds of thousands lying around???? When you buy a secondary travel insurance policy it can create a real nightmare depending on the carrier you use because they may fight each other back and forth both saying that it is the other carrier's responsibility to pay. There was a very sad situation brought to light on the forums where a young man died in hospital while the insurance companies fought over who should pay for what.......... (BTW, I work for one of the largest insurance companies in Canada so I do know what I am talking about, my best advice would be to contact the coverage through your work to find out what would happen if there were an emergency with huge out of pocket expenses). Safe travels..............

Edited: 22 August 2012, 01:22