We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Distance from airport

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Distance from airport

Full disclosure, at the start of the planning process for my next vacation, I said 'I don't want to be further than 2 hours from the airport', so in a sense I get it.

But on the other hand, I can't believe the animosity I am reading about a resort that is 50 minutes from the airport.

Maybe I have travelled to more places, but I've been to several places where the transfer was over an hour (Mayan Riviera, St Lucia etc.) and I've never considered them unreasonable, so I have been very surprised with the number of reviews SLATING a hotel for being under an hour's drive (albeit a bumpy one).

Would these posters rather their resort was under the flight path with low flying aircraft a la Maho Beach?

crookedbrains.net/2008/08/beach-and-airplane…

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Distance from airport

Sometimes you have to travel further to get what you want. I have no problem travelling 1-2 hours for the perfect resort. The last resort we went to was just over 90 mins from the airport and worth every minute :-) If someone was that concerned that the resort that would meet their needs needed to be within a certain distance from the airport would you not think that they would research this?

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Distance from airport

I agree. We knew well ahead of time, before booking actually, that our resort was about an hour from the airport. It was well worth it!!

The ride was interesting, there was lots to see, and we found the whole experience to be quite entertaining :)

For me, seems to be one of the things someone WOULD want to find out about in advance...complaining about it after appears kind of silly, when the information would have been readily available before the fact...

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,672 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Distance from airport

We have travelled 50 mins to EPC several times and it has been worth it

The problem is if your TA has not told you about it or you have not researched it it can be a shock

There can also be a big time difference between a direct transfer and a shuttle which stops and several stops on route

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Distance from airport

My last vacation was a 3 hr drive from the airport. No big deal for me. I always look at it as a free tour. A one hour trip is the norm for many vacation spots in the world. I sometimes wonder if some of those who complain have ever been outside their hometown.

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Distance from airport

The furthest I've traveled to a resort is 80minutes (on the North Coast to GBPRSJ)...daytime travel is MUCH better than the night time travel on that one!!

On the East Coast, our transfer time was about 55minutes to Sirenis Tropical & Punta Cana Princess during the day. If your transfer Host is good & informative, your time on the bus can go quite quickly....& some great scenery too !

But people are impatient once they get off the plane. They want to get to the resort quickly so that they can get on the beach, finding once they arrive their rooms are not ready yet....& then the complaining begins !

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Distance from airport

I agree the 'milk round' multi hotel transfers can be a pain! But in recent years companies seem smarter about their transfers compared to 20 years ago when 10+ stops was 'normal' in some places!

7. Re: Distance from airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2013, 06:16