We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

are the buggy tours only stick shift operational?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Acworth, Georgia
Level Contributor
59 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
are the buggy tours only stick shift operational?

My husband and I would like to do the buggy excursion, but neither of us can do stick shift. Are they all stick shift?

WI
Level Contributor
370 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: are the buggy tours only stick shift operational?

Can only speak about X-buggies and YEP they are stick

Edmundston, Canada
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: are the buggy tours only stick shift operational?

funny-buggy also manual transmission.

Kincardine, Canada
Level Contributor
722 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: are the buggy tours only stick shift operational?

A dune buggy would be a perfect vehicle on which to learn stick. They already get the heck beat out of them. Everyone who knows how to drive should know how to drive stick in my opinion.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
12,709 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: are the buggy tours only stick shift operational?

I don't think Charlie or Kurt would appreciate their investments being used as a training device. LOL

Cheers

PCMike

Kincardine, Canada
Level Contributor
722 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: are the buggy tours only stick shift operational?

Well then the OP should find a tractor or other vehicle near home and learn. If you've got a good teacher you won't grind gears or stall, or do any harm to the vehicle. Then they'll be able to drive Charlie or Kurt's buggies smooth as silk.

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: are the buggy tours only stick shift operational?

Well, I assume these guys don't want Americans taking their excursions LOL. I am the only one of my friends who even knows how to drive a manual transmission vehicle. And since some of them have taken this excursion....on the tour training must have occurred LOL

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
7,902 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: are the buggy tours only stick shift operational?

CarolLee - speak for yourself.... not for all Americans.... please. I learned on a manual transmission (it's all we had in my family, growing up in NJ), and have driven only stick since..... and that's a lot of years (no need to go into exact numbers). Dad, mom (when she was alive), sisters, me.....wouldn't have it any other way. You're right that most don't know how (everyone should know, though). I figure it'll give me a leg up, if I ever try to get on The Amazing Race. Always seems to be one leg where someone has trouble with a manual transmission... you would think they'd learn before embarking on the race.

Anyway..... I do find it interesting that an excursion is offered with manual trans only. Nature of the vehicle, I guess.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
12,709 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: are the buggy tours only stick shift operational?

Exactly....nature of the beast!

In this country your driving test is conducted in a manual transmission car. No ifs ands or buts!

Cheers

PCMike

ps...at least 50 % of the people enjoying Fun Buggy or Extreme Buggy are from North America...think they are doing fine on that front for a couple of Europeans! LOL

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,696 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: are the buggy tours only stick shift operational?

I did Xtreme Buggy a couple of weeks ago, all people on the tour were North American and new how to drive stick, even I can drive stick and have done so for many years LOL

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: are the buggy tours only stick shift operational?

who thinks he/she knows how to Drive, also can drive Stick shifters.

for a experienced Driver it take 30 minutes of patience with a Person who is used to drive Stick, and all is ready for a smooth Ride.

all of my Crew Members learned it with me, in my Truck, they never drove Stick before and todays I have no problem to leave my Truck with any of them.

here in the Country/DR you can make your Drivers License on Stick (the usual way very most do) and also on automatic(you need to bring a Automatic Car to do your practice Exam on that, as all available practise Exam vehicles here are Stick), and if you do the Exam on a automatic car you get a remark in your drivers license and will not be allowed to drive Stick later on, you would need to do the Exams again to do so, hence everybody is smart enough to do the Exams on Stick Shifters.

the Buggies of Charly and Jurt are not meant and not used to be a "Driving Practice Thingy", you need to know how to drive those Cars before the Tour starts or you take your place on the passenger Seat while the other Guests(always 4 Guests per Buggy) randomly drive you around the Area.

while Europeans dominate the numbers still, Northamerican Guests are on those Tours present in large Numbers, too, and from a few exceptions aside, very most seem not to have a problem with a Stick Shifter, seems it is usual in Northamerica to know how to drive a Car with a manual Transmission.

Happy touring

Mike