We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping Etiquette at an AI

Toronto
Level Contributor
112 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping Etiquette at an AI

Hi there all,

Just wondering about tipping at the resort. I don't want to have to be carrying cash around with me all day while hanging out at the pool, beach etc... Wondering what you all think in regards to tipping a larger amount at the start of the day to encourage great service throughout the day, or tipping smaller amounts for each service/drink/food item/? Or just waiting til end of day?

Interested to hear your thoughts and/or experiences with tipping

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,794 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping Etiquette at an AI

This is a very hot topic here at the forum! At the top of this center column is a green shaded search box. Enter the phrase 'tipping guidelines' and it will give you LOTS to read!

London UK
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping Etiquette at an AI

Some people on here walk around with Fort Knox in their Pockets but we just tip here and there and we tip a bit more towards the end of the holiday.

It never seems to make much difference to our stay, but we understand they are not highly paid but can't be asked to tip allday long - we just don't do it at home or most places we travel too.

snooks

Edited: 19 October 2012, 14:20
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping Etiquette at an AI

Never tip in the hopes to get good service. In my opinion, very rude, and would likely make the person receiving the tip feel very uncomfortable. Only tip for good service received.

We carry about $15(per day) in singles around for drink tips and meals tips. Not near enough that it would be a concern if it was lost.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
5,933 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping Etiquette at an AI

One thing I have noticed is that usually the staff member does not even notice what amount you are tipping unless you wave the bill around in front of them. Usually it goes folded up from my hand to there hand and straight into their pocket. So when you have the same server serving several people at one time they wouldn't know you gave them a big tip at the start of the day. I may be wrong in this but I really don't see how they would know who gave them the $10 tip and who gave them the $1 tip!

As well the last few yeras we have noticed that the tips are shared - they go into a jar behind the bar!

We don't tip each time we get a drink but every 3 or 4 drinks. Especially since we are usually in the same sopt all day so we use the same bar tenders and servers.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,124 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping Etiquette at an AI

During the day, I'm very likely to tip the person who is bringing drinks to me at my beach chair because I feel this is a big perk for me, and tough work for him or her... slogging through deep sand in the hot sun, remembering everyone's drink orders, etc. I don't find it inconvenient to have cash with me at my chair, since I have to keep my room key, kindle, sunscreen, ball cap, magazines with me anyway. So, a little waterproof case with some cash in it gets thrown into my beach bag. No biggie. Last trip, I met a fun group of people and we ended up all sitting together on the beach every day. We would take turns tipping the beach waiter, so we didn't all tip for each round. When we moved to the swim-up bar later in the day, same story.... took turns tipping for each round.

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
2,717 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping Etiquette at an AI

I give two dollars a day to the person who cleans my room, and I tip a dollar a person per meal to the wait staff. In the evenings I'll type someone at the bar every few drinks or so. I don't take cash to the beach/pool, that is the whole point of AI to me.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping Etiquette at an AI

We take about $10 in one's to the beach and just leave it in our beach bag. We give $1 each time the beach server brings drinks to our chair. Never had a problem with money stolen out of our bag. I have far more expensive stuff in there to be concerned about.

Toronto
Level Contributor
112 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping Etiquette at an AI

"Never tip in the hopes to get good service. In my opinion, very rude"

Wow...I have never heard of tipping to be considered rude! Hmm....

Thank you to all of you for all your great info

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping Etiquette at an AI

Tipping is not rude.

But in the case of "tipping to encourage good service", yup, rude. Some would argue it's more of a bribe.

We should tip because we received good service.

London UK
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping Etiquette at an AI

Have to disagree there, it is seen as rude in some Countries as they don't tip. Most of the EU for instance do not tip nor China or Japan and probably most of the World. It seems to be mainly an N.A thing these days.

snooks