We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricane Sandy - October 26th - November 2nd

Chicago, Illinois
6 posts
Save Topic
Hurricane Sandy - October 26th - November 2nd

We're flying out this Friday, October 26th to come to Punta Cana. While it doesn't look like Hurricane Sandy is going to hit the Dominican Republic, I'm concerned with how it's going to affect the weather there. Anyone have any thoughts?

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,348 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurricane Sandy - October 26th - November 2nd

Early Thursday morning (1:30am local time) it will be as close as it will be at just over 564 miles to the west of PC. By Friday there should be only memories of another storm that missed.

BObK

Hartford...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurricane Sandy - October 26th - November 2nd

We have independent radar at my job, and it shows Thursday morning as the closest to PC, but still 500 miles west.

Might get some slighlty bigger waves, but I wouldnt worry too much.

For Friday, The prediction charts are showing the storm a few hundred miles east off of Florida and continuing northeast towards Bermuda

Edited: 23 October 2012, 21:03
Chicago, Illinois
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurricane Sandy - October 26th - November 2nd

Thanks for the feedback. Do you think the hurricane/tropical storm will have any effect on flights out of the U.S.?

Chicago, Illinois
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurricane Sandy - October 26th - November 2nd

Thanks for the feedback. Do you think the hurricane/tropical storm will have any effect on flights out of the U.S.?

Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hurricane Sandy - October 26th - November 2nd

I'm flying out to PC on Friday too...I really hope it doesn't effect the flights out of the US, especially JFK.

Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hurricane Sandy - October 26th - November 2nd

I'm flying out to PC on Friday too...I really hope it doesn't effect the flights out of the US, especially JFK.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hurricane Sandy - October 26th - November 2nd

No,

a lil Storm so far away will not effect flights from JFK to PC.

such Storms move slow and the Airlines plan their route around them long before you board a plane in case it would be located on the planned Path.

Happy Travels

Mike

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
14,917 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hurricane Sandy - October 26th - November 2nd

raining now in PUJ

radar.weather.gov/radar.php…

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hurricane Sandy - October 26th - November 2nd

that's wrong, WUD, I did not get any rain this morning and it still is dry now.

the long range Radar an not show you where exactly some Rain goes down or not, it only shows Cloud-Density, nothing else.

today PC is under a Cloudcover, wind is very low with few gusts once in a while, Ocean is very calm, the air feels nice fresh, no Humidity felt.

we sure will get our share of Rain during the next 3 days as TS Sandy walks today over Jamaica(most likely as a Hurricane), then SputhCentral Cuba and continues to the Bhamas, during all that way we are in range of her eastern Rainbands, as the Storm reaches from it's Center around 550 miles East with it's Rains.

PC is far out of Range to be in any serious danger, but clouds and Watering is a possibility for this week.

Happy Travels

Mike

colorado
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Hurricane Sandy - October 26th - November 2nd

We are flying from Denver to Punta Cana 10/25- Nov 2--- will the weather be okay? Please advise