We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Cat Royal or Ambar

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
268 posts
1 review
Save Topic
The Cat Royal or Ambar

My god i have to get my S***t together....One more time guys...Which one...I would like wider beach and good food...I know both these property's have nice rooms so that isn't a worry... And entertainment at night...Other than that everything else is not a worry...

I want to say thanks very much for all the help over the past months....Booking will be done this week....lol

:)

Greensburg...
Level Contributor
445 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Cat Royal or Ambar

Well, Ambar has pretty good food at their ala cartes and the buffet is also terrific but the beach isn't all that great. There's not much of a view and it usually falls off at water's edge. The palabas are numerous especially if you don't mind sitting back away from the beach.

Evening entertainment at Ambar is basically non existent. You will need to take the tram to the main Bahia lobby area for shows and the disco .

It's pretty crowded however.

I can't speak for Cat Royal but it's high on my list for our next visit this coming spring. I actually prefer Iberostar to the Bahia experience but I want to give the Cat Royal a good look.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
299 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Cat Royal or Ambar

I have been to amber and I loved it. I also have been to catalonia royal twice ad the second time was quite disappointed.

Please take my advise and go to amber much better food and resort

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The Cat Royal or Ambar

I would recommend the Cat Royal for the Beach, much Calmer water, the AO Beach is right On the Beach at the Cat while set back from the water at the Ambar.

Mike

London UK
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Cat Royal or Ambar

Th Nightlfe at the Bahia's is very good and like the RC you have to go to the Sister Hotels on the same complex for it which is really no big deal unless you have never walked/traveled for more than 5 minutes before.

We have been to the Ambar twice and really liked it, we are trying the Cat this year.

snooks

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
115 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Cat Royal or Ambar

Catalonia Royal all the way. Great beach, wonderful staff, 5 min walk to family side if you want to have active nightlife if not piano bar on Royal side is nice!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
368 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: The Cat Royal or Ambar

RC has a very calm beach compare to Ambar but Ambar is on the Bavaro beach wich is a very wide beach and a lot of people walk for miles and a lot of action(boats, helico etc...)

If you want a quiet place go for RC but if you want action and more things to do go for Ambar.

Have you consider Royal Suites Turquesa?

Winthrop, Maine
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Cat Royal or Ambar

Hola: Food wise, we thought Ambar had the best food overall of all our 12 trips to the DR. Have not been to Cat Royal but like others it is at the top of our list to go to. We like calm water to go snorkeling, so we are trying the Cat. Probably next year. We head to Dreams La Romana in 10 days for our 5th time at DLR.

Mike & Cyndie - The Maineacs

London UK
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Cat Royal or Ambar

main - we agree the Ambar is the best overall food we have had in 14 trips to the DR. Food is also good at the DLR too.

We are going to the RC in December, so will write up about it. We don't always write reviews unless there is something new to add.

snooks

Edited: 28 October 2012, 14:24
Toronto,ON
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Cat Royal or Ambar

I think we have narrowed it down with these 2 at the top of our list. I like the fact the Cat Royal is not as large of a complex as the Amber but there seems to be a lot of good about the Amber. One thing we do at times is enjoy breakfast, lunch or dinner in our room. It appears as though there is an extra charge for room service at Amber but not at Cat Royal? Can anyone confirm if there is charges at Amber or Cat?

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: The Cat Royal or Ambar

TopNotch,

sorry to disagree, but the Ambar is not on Bavaro Beach, it is on Arena Gorda Beach in Northern Bavaro, and the Beach there is the tiniest of the Punta cana Beaches. it still is a very nice Beach(there is no Bad Beach in the Area, all those Beaches provide white Sand and Salty Water, lol) and the Ambar is a good middle of the Road AI Resort, well worth a visit.

but as a wide beach been asked for, here the Catalonia wins the game.

in case of Food, a theme hard to impossible to discuss, I see very most AI properties in the Area completely on Par for their Food Quality, independend of the self given "Stars". most difference is the way the Food is presented, self serving Buffet or layed out as a a la Carte Diner with table service, Food Quality wise there are no significant dofferences between tye different AI Properties in Punta Cana. the quality changes with changes of the Chefs of the different restaurants, some are at the same restaurant since a long time, others do the ride and change location once in a while, and even the best chef has days off and also goes on vacations, so unless you know the chef of a specific restaurant in person and see him on the job on a specific day you will never be sure who and how a specific plate will be done at a specific evening for a secific table. they cook for a large number of guests per Lunch/Dinner, so be assured that not every single plate at a specific restaurant is preparaed by the specific Chef all evening long, it's AI Biz.

if the spacy Beach is a important point, go with the Catalonia,

otherwise you will be at a well worth Property at either of the two

have Fun

Mike