We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Groceries

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kingston, Canada
8 posts
Save Topic
Groceries

We will be staying at the Santa Maria Del Mar Punta Cana, in a condo for a month and need some pointers on where to by groceries, and booze . Should we buy them at the National on the way ? I see people have mentioned them , or is there a store near us ? Staying a month should we rent a car as well ? This is i our first time in D.R. ..any thing you can tell us would help .

Thank you a head of time

Sherry and Paul Ontario

Bavaro, Dominican...
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Groceries

National is close to the airport 25 minute drive from your condo, closer is superpola about 10 minutes drive away, there's a small supermarket 5/10 minute walk away in los corales which is (supposed) to be reopening again soon, there is a small grocery store close to it if not plus a pretty good colmado (dominican convenience store) selling all kinds of stuff in front of the barcelo hotel a 5 minute walk away

BC Canada
Level Contributor
348 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Groceries

Sherry and Paul,

We have stayed in condos in the same area each of the past 3 years and have never had the need to rent a car. If the store in the nearby Eldorado Plaza reopens in November as rumoured, you will have a decent choice of groceries within a 10 to 15 minute walk of where you are going to be. Last winter a truck full of fresh veggies and fruit was in the area near the plaza about 2 or 3 times a week, right around 6PM. Larger grocery orders can be gotten at Super Pola, which we always accessed by the local bus. You catch it on the main road a short walk from Santa Marie and last year was only 30 pesos per person. Riding these local busses is a very unique local experience and shouldn't be missed. Go to the scale maps at the following site to get your bearings. I have found their maps to be very useful.

http://puntacanatv.com/maps

Quebec
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Groceries

Hello Sherry & Paul

we are a retired couple living in Gatineau-Quebec and we rent a condo for 2

months at the same place of you Santa Maria del Mar; we will be there January 19 to March 16...It will be nice to meet you there...I am a bit anxious

about the groceries...we have in the complex a barbecue grill that we can used and my question is can we buy good meat like (ground beef, steak etc)

I read a few messages about good restaurants but lots of them are very expensive so I need to find a good places at reasonable prices...I am glad to

know canadian people will be at the same place of us...when are you getting

there...we can communicate together and exchange for the best of our vacations...

Lisette & Andre Germain

Bavaro, Dominican...
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Groceries

The meat and fish at superpola supermarket is very good

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Groceries

I’ve stayed at Santa Maria del Mar three times.

There are at least two small markets within easy walking distance. Just ask the folks at Santa Maria del Mar how to find them.

I think the prices are a little high for everything in that area, but they aren’t outrageous.

Quebec
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Groceries

thanks a lot to respond quickly of my request...

I appreciate very much...

have a nice day and I cant wait to be in Punta Cana....

Quebec
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Groceries

Hi

should we expect good services and safe area at the Santa Maria del Mar?

we will be there for 2 months in a condo...

many thanks to you to reply of my requests...

Lisette

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Groceries

Wow! Two months. Please take me with you.

In that area, Cortecito, there are many small bars, shops, and restaurants. I really like the beer garden (called Gladys’, I believe) and the little bars in the strip mall with the French restaurant.

It’s a very leisurely 10-minute walk to the beach.

To get around to other parts of the Punta Cana area, you’ll need transportation (car, taxi, motococho, etc.)

As far as safety goes, I’ve been out and about at all times of day and night in that area and never felt threatened. Of course, I’m a fairly big (and real ugly) dude.

Remember that just about everywhere you go, there will be people who want to sell you goods and “services.”

And electricity is expensive, so be conservative in your condo, or you may be shocked at your bill.

Kingston, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Groceries

HI Lisette & Andre Germain

We will be arriving March 20 to April 20th .Sorry we will miss you .

Yes I see there is a grill there . Most of the reviews are good on this place .

Hope you have a good time and safe travel.

Sherry and Paul

Kingston, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Groceries

Fort Wayne...

How did you find the place ? Is the beach very far away ? is the pool nice and clean and did you go on any day trips? ... I was hoping to go to some museums there ,

I see they have sugar cane and rice fields there.

Sherry and paul