We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best tour not to miss?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
124 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best tour not to miss?

We will be arriving in Feb., what tour would you suggest we not miss? Us and two grown adult kids and 3 little ones, 12,10 and 6, by the way.

Ellicott City MD
Level Contributor
2,896 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best tour not to miss?

On the left side of this forum page under"Things To Do" are a wide range of different options.

Zip lining, dune buggies, ATV tours, Surf Camp...

Most tours are available at the hotel. I don't like to book ahead of time because there is no way of telling what the weather will be a few months out.

If you are intrested in fishing contact Mike @

mike@mikesmarina.info

If you are looking for a personalized tour where you will see the real Dominican, contact Punta Cana Mike @

http://puntacanamike.webs.com/

p.s..... 2 different people..lol

We have enjoyed both of these "excursions" and can highly recommend them both.

These tours cannot be booked at any hotel. Contact them early as these tours fill up quickly.

Have fun!

Bavaro, Dominican...
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best tour not to miss?

Zip lines, dune buggies, fishing, with a 6 year old ???? The age group you have as a family I'd say you'd enjoy one of the half day safari tours, the kids usually enjoy the ride on the big open trucks.

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best tour not to miss?

The most popular excursion is Isla Saona. It is a pristine beach island which is truly a sight to behold. We also recommend the zip lining. If you have a strong stomach - the Samana whale watching is cool too.

Lisbon
Level Contributor
945 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best tour not to miss?

Dominican Quest,

When can the Whales be spotted. Nov-Feb?

I have a 3 year old.. was looking for a tour, but not sure if we will do it this time, mid-Dec.

I wanted to try PCMIke's Boca de Yuma tour but they say it is not recommended for children below 12.

I have been to DR 5 times already and have visited Saona, Catalina and Santo Domingo.

Thanks!

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best tour not to miss?

6 years olds on a sportfishing yacht or on PCMike's Dominican Adventure Tours is not a problem, done on almost daily bases and the Kittens hav a blast.

small children on the back of a Safari Truck, that is something to think about, as they can quickly get grumpy when they have to sit down the whole time to watch the landscape drift by.

it all depends on wht the Kiddies are used to, there are more adventurous ones who did from small on many of such activities with their parents, like for example my own almost 2 years old daughter takes 12ft Sea with a smile while playing on her Bed in the Cabin, lol, while others would get scared or bored on the same activities.

in general for small children I would recommend to look on activities which do not last more than the half day/4hrs off the resort, so they can hit their beloved sandy beach by noon and play there, too long lasting activities make the little ones tired quickly, specially in our strong caribbean Sun.

on the other side, your adult children sure would like to enjoy some different activities than the youngguns, you may want to consider to do with each age group of the Family a different activity suitable for their specific Age/Preferences.

have Fun

Mike

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best tour not to miss?

@MikeFisher your daughter is nearly 2! How time flies...

@city-or-sea Take a look at Macao Surf Camp - if your kids can swim and are comfortable in the water then this is perfect for them and a great activity for the whole family to enjoy. Yes, even for 6 year olds as they can surf in the shallow white water near the beach. The instructors are expert surfers and will take good care of your little ones.

macaosurfcamp@gmail.com

809.430.9017 / 809.882.2231

web: http://macaosurfcamp.com/

Have fun!

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best tour not to miss?

yes Yumi, time flies by.

next sunday/18th the little Princess will be 2 years old,

almost the Mrs Captain of the Fleet, ha ha.

yes,

even the Macao Surfcamp, where the Big Boys fight the big Waves, lol, is very suitable for children used to the water, my own Babygal acompanies me on the Surfboard since long before she could walk, and she watching me leaving shore without taking her with me is a guaranteed War coming up within the Family, ha ha.

it all depends to what the children are used to, some are raised at or near/around water and are as children already capable to handle more than many adults on the water. you just need to take your time and let them explore new things without any pressure, on their own Pace, not on Daddy's pace(I was more than once too pushy, but learned my lessons).

the Pros at the Macao Surf Camp are used to take care about children in the propper way for the specific ages, if your child does not fear the water, then it may find the biggest fun right there.

Mike

8. Re: Best tour not to miss?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2013, 10:16