We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lemons and Limes

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,931 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Lemons and Limes

It seems that wherever I've been, in both the DR and in Mexico, when I ask for a lemon, I get a lime. Are lemons just not available there?

For some things, I like lime, but for others, I prefer lemon.

Mark

Edmundston, Canada
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lemons and Limes

I prefer lemons over limes and of all the trips that we've done, I was never able to get one. I guess they are rare.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,673 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lemons and Limes

Mark

It is my understanding that they do not grown lemons on the island which would mean they would need to import them

I actually prefer limes anyway

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Lemons and Limes

No yellow lemons on the island (and I've not seen them imported either), only green limes - sharper than the average lemon but great with fresh fish, or in your rum n coke ;-)

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,073 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lemons and Limes

No they do not produce lemons for sale here. Why I have no idea, so we actually grow our own.

BObK

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,673 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lemons and Limes

To my knowledge we only breed haggis here in Scotland and would not expect to see one running around on the mountains in DR

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,931 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lemons and Limes

flipflop

I prefer lime for some things too (like with tequila or a gin and tonic). But, for example, I'm a big fan of beef carpaccio, and I much prefer lemon to lime for this.

The other thing is: in the DR, I have sometimes found the limes to be dry (i.e. not particularly juicy), as compared to here, or in the Mayan Riviera. On a side not, I've also found the tomatoes to be much better in the Mayan Riviera.

Mark

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,780 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lemons and Limes

If you ask for a lemon you do get a "limon" which is a lime in Spanish. Might be a good business opportunity to grow "lemons".

Brantford On
Level Contributor
222 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lemons and Limes

I like what your thinking RV!!!!

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lemons and Limes

Maybe you mainly see limes in D.R. because limes are classed as tropical fruits and lemons are classed as subtropical fruits ?

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Lemons and Limes

it is the simple fact of history that we do not have Lemons on the Island, but for that we have a heck of Limes, we use the Limes trees as fences of the properties(their spines are better guards than a armed guard could be, lol).

and in case of good Seafood, pouring Lemmon over that would be a sacrilege, run down the quality, here a Dominican cheapy Lime from the bckyard is the way to go, but yes, the Chefs go different strange ways once in a while.

I don't know why Lemons(the yellow ones I know from my homecountry germany for example) are not produced here, as they grow fantastic in the Island's Climate, I have many on the Ranch but nobody wants them, lol.

I guess it is just the different things we are used to from growing up, but believe me, the DR Lime for a Tequila is the same as good than any Lime could be, specially after the 3rd, 4th 5th, ...

if you get Dry ones, I suspect that been at a resort or in the touristy area off resort spot where guests request the limes all year around, but as fact they are not in season all year around, so you got some of the ones they "safe" for the off season, those are not worh to dry, as they've been stored for too long, Lemons treated that way would have been the same bad, you need to get the stuff fresh and juicy when it is in season.

Have Fun

Mike