We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is the shopping and area outside of resorts

Indiana
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Topic
How is the shopping and area outside of resorts

Spouse and I have taken a winter vac. in Caribbean for the last 4 yrs. We first went to PR, then St. Thomas and loved it there, Jamaica( went AI and it was nice) and then back to St. Thomas. Airfare has really increased and we are looking at maybe elsewhere. Beautiful beaches are a must and we usually rent by owner right on the beach but are considering a nice resort and maybe AI again. We love to go sightseeing and shopping as well as snorkeling. Safety is an issue also. So my question is what other island does everyone recommend and why?

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,624 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How is the shopping and area outside of resorts

I would look at the Akumal Bay area in Mexico for great condo rentals combined with snorkeling and shopping, restaurants and bars all in the same area.

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How is the shopping and area outside of resorts

If the snorkeling isn't crucial, Grenada or Antigua would be good options. Neither has great snorkeling, though. Aruba's another possibility.

Edited: 19 November 2012, 00:55
Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How is the shopping and area outside of resorts

Turks and Caicos also seems like a good spot for an independent holiday, although we've not been there yet so can't say from personal experience.

Bavaro, Dominican...
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How is the shopping and area outside of resorts

Punta cana certainly has more than its fair share of beautiful beach area, very safe outside the resorts in my opinion and plenty of beach front condos or AI resorts to choose from. With regards to sightseeing it depends on what you like to do, plenty of organised tours and excursions if that's your thing, shopping depends again what your looking for malls or local tourist style gift shops and markets

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
3,614 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How is the shopping and area outside of resorts

I agree with Akumal area in Mexico's Riviera Maya. It has great snorkeling, some nice AI's if that's the way you decide to go, but also condo rentals, and you are near Playa del Carmen for shopping, restaurants and bars. There are also excellent excursions because of proximity to Mayan ruins, caves and cenotes.

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
323 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How is the shopping and area outside of resorts

I agree with the Akumal area of Mexico. It has everything you listed and we always felt comfortable there when we were off the resort. We went on several excursions as well as shopping trips in taxis and always felt safe.

alberta
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How is the shopping and area outside of resorts

I vote for Grenada or Antigua! You cannot go wrong with the beaches and especially on Grenada there are so many different things to see and do - you come away with a real cultural experience as well as an amazing beach holiday! Also one of the safest islands. I could go on and on.... let me know if you want more info!

Bavaro, Dominican...
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How is the shopping and area outside of resorts

Am I on the wrong forum? No one answering the question with regards to punta cana

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,624 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How is the shopping and area outside of resorts

veritas...while PC is my vacation spot of choice the OP'slast sentence was ..

"So my question is what other island does everyone recommend and why?

"

That is how I tailored my answer.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,037 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How is the shopping and area outside of resorts

I loved Grenada as well. I'd go back there in a heartbeat.