We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time- HONEYMOON FEB 2013- Where to stay? Cpl in 30's.

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NY
Level Contributor
656 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
First Time- HONEYMOON FEB 2013- Where to stay? Cpl in 30's.

Looking for a NICE, clean, MODERN and fairly reasonable priced place for a honeymoon in FEB. Looking for any advice on anyone that has first hand experience with a resort here.. I have been to Mexico 5 times and loved it..but never to PC...wanting to try something new and have heard PC is beautiful.... Looking PREFERABLY for a adult only resort but with that said not a "ADULT ORIENTED" one.. lol just no children... good food, good selection of rstrnts, nice pools, beach, things to do, etc. Would like to snorkel, etc. thanks so much in advance!!!!!!!!

nova scotia
Level Contributor
291 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time- HONEYMOON FEB 2013- Where to stay? Cpl in 30's.

hi

excellence punta cana is adult only,romantic,but is starting to show its age..the water is rough, i think you can snorkle to the right side of the beach

gran bahia ambr is modern,newer,and has very good restraunts.you probally know it is part of a huge resort,so it can work for you if you want adult all day then head over to the main sction for more livlier area and entertainment

but 2 of my favorites are Majestic colonial and majestic eleganc..both have a club level which is adult only,,,adult pools,a adult only restraunt and sectiones off bach area.both these resorts are beautiful, and you can still ue all the facilities of the whole resort.

If you wonder to the main section of thse 2 resots where kids ar allowed, there willprobally be more kids at majestic colonial...these are 2 of my favorite resorts, having been to majestic elegance once , and heading back for our trird stay at majestic colonial in the new club section.....which is just opening any daynow

good luck

we have been to mexico twice, and punta cana 11 times...needless to say we perfer punta canat

Bavaro, Dominican...
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time- HONEYMOON FEB 2013- Where to stay? Cpl in 30's.

Nice,clean,modern,adult only, Secrets royal beach fits nicely with those requirements.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,903 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time- HONEYMOON FEB 2013- Where to stay? Cpl in 30's.

Hi

How many nights are you looking to go for and what resorts have you stayed at in Mexico???

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,949 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time- HONEYMOON FEB 2013- Where to stay? Cpl in 30's.

What's your definition of reasonably price?

Mark

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time- HONEYMOON FEB 2013- Where to stay? Cpl in 30's.

I've been to two adult-only resorts in Punta Cana and loved both - Gran Bahia Ambar and Iberostar Grand Bavaro. Ambar is much more reasonably priced; the Iberostar Grand is much more modern. I believe that they'd both meet your needs, with the exception of snorkeling. If that's important, then you might want to check out the Catalonia Royal Bavaro - haven't been, but heard good things about it. We've also been to a number of resorts in Mexico - love both destinations.

Edited: 20 November 2012, 20:17
Brampton
Level Contributor
970 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time- HONEYMOON FEB 2013- Where to stay? Cpl in 30's.

I've been to both Catalonia Bavaro and Bahia Principe Ambar both are very nice resorts and can't go wrong with either choice.

Keep in mind that Bahia Principe is a HUGE complex that was the only thing I didn't like about the resort, had to take trolly's all the time, you could walk to the main entertainment area but it's about 10 minutes. The Catalonia is also a big resort but not as big.

I prefer smaller resorts Dreams Palm Beach is my fav so far but not adults only.

There are SO many nice resorts in PC I'm sure you will pick a great one, all the suggestions above are good.

NY
Level Contributor
656 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time- HONEYMOON FEB 2013- Where to stay? Cpl in 30's.

I have stayed at Adventura and Moon Palace as well as Costa in Cancun, and Grand Caribe...

We want adults only, romantic, nice selection of pools, beach area that is decent sized, good food (as I am hearing awful things about the food in dominican compared to Mexico even from the travel agent!!) :( is this true? We cannot spend more than 3k for both with all taxes for a week, but most preferably looking to stay around 2500.00.. we are now open to and looking at traveling Mar 31 or Apr 1st departure for 6 days 5 nights... out of Syracuse NY.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,949 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time- HONEYMOON FEB 2013- Where to stay? Cpl in 30's.

The food is not awful in the Dominican, but in my experience, it's better in Mexico. But the Dominican has a great feel to it, with better beaches, taller palm trees, and overall a more tropical feel.

At $3000 at that time of year, it limits your options, unless you're not including flights in that. Syracuse might be tough to get a flight out of, but there's Buffalo as an option. Also, prices may go down between now and then. Look at booking direct with the resort, and the flights separately as an option, in addittion to package deals. Don't just book online. Call the resort.

Excellence and Secrets would be my top choices according to your criteria, and possibly in your price range.

Mark

NY
Level Contributor
656 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time- HONEYMOON FEB 2013- Where to stay? Cpl in 30's.

Thank you Mark... Calling direct and booking airfare could save me vs. booking expedia, or package thru cheapcarribean or an agent etc who is willing to price match online deals? I have been to Mexico 5 times and always booked thru an agent, and one time was thankful being we had issues and if it was not for her we would not have gotten out of our resort! :)

I thought SECRETS would be more of a SANDALS type budget which is obviously higher than what we can spend..no? I will look if you have any particular resorts you can suggest... MAIN focus being ADULT only. THANKS SO MUCH!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,949 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Time- HONEYMOON FEB 2013- Where to stay? Cpl in 30's.

Sandals is usually more expensive (depending on which one) than Secrets or Excellence.

Sometimes you can get better prices booking direct, and sometimes better with a package. The advantage of booking direct is that you can cancel at any time up until a few days before you get there, so if a great deal comes a long, just cancel and book the great deal.

If your main focus is adult only, then Excellence is your best choice. It's the only truly adult only resort in Punta Cana. By that, I mean that it is not attached to another resort. It's a self contained adult only resort. No restaurants, theatres or other amenities elsewhere. There are no resorts for at least a mile in either direction.

Excellence and Secrets used to be managed by the same company (AMResorts), until Excellence reverted back to the original owners. They do things much the same. No reservations for restaurants, truly all-inclusive, etc. I'd consider Excellence and Secrets resorts to be on a par, but in this case, just not enough restaurants at Secrets Royal Beach for a 7 night stay.

Right now, at Excellence, you can get an ocean view or club level room from March 31 to April 5 for $1970 - booking direct. I don't see availability for the regular garden view room, which would be a few hundred dollars cheaper, but perhaps if you call them on the phone. That's not including flights. The price may come down between now and then. It's more expensive with Expedia.

Mark