We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time Shares at the Ambar (and others)

Bedford, Canada
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Time Shares at the Ambar (and others)

Every couple of weeks I save time to read through the reviews at a few resorts in PC. The Ambar has been my only experience in PC but I feel I can relate to most.

Today, on the Ambar front page, there are two reviews that talk about the Time Share pitch or whatever you call it, that happens. As you read other pages you see that quite a few are turned off from it and even though they have had a great stay, they don't like the "Come see the Esmerelda" or "Celebrate the anniversary of the Esmerelda"

I too had a small run in with these people when I was there. It left a little bit of a sour taste in my mouth. I politely said "no" and the guy stayed on us. I had to get assertive with him to make him go away.

Is there some way that we can tell the resorts that this is "Old School" and people just don't like it anymore? If you look at the reviews as an indicator, I think the reviews show that most people don't like it.

Bavaro, Dominican...
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time Shares at the Ambar (and others)

Well said, time share, vacation club whatever they want to call themselves are a nuisance, some do just not take no as an answer I've witnessed it many many times, I wish every person who gets pestered by them would complain to Guest services as maybe the resorts would get the message that they can ruin a resorts reputation

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time Shares at the Ambar (and others)

I wouldn't mind if they had a booth at the lobby or restaurant that you could visit on your own. That would eliminate the "pestering" that bothers folks. I know I don't like them following me around the resort.

Brooklin, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
13,224 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time Shares at the Ambar (and others)

notkevin,

I do agree with you.

No matter what any resort wants to call it as you have mentioned - it is still a "time share" with a different "wrapper".

They do have a separate booth or defined area in the lobby - thankfully that is nicely set up and that is where one will find them every day.

But, lets face it, it is economics and people do buy or else these time share companies would be non existent - resorts make a good amount of profit off the sale as well - in my opinion, they are too hard sell, catching people at their weakest/most vulnerable time, when their mind set is truly elsewhere (when they have their beach cap on, not their business hat, that is for sure) at overpriced and variable costs depending on the difficulty they have in selling one to a guest at any given moment - to me, why would anyone spend the thousands they ask for without consulting a professional (lawyer, financial planner etc) before making such a purchase - would they do the same back in their home cities without doing so .... but in the time share case - buy now or forget it is the pitch !! What does that tell you.

I am sure a lawyer could make a living alone out of the numbers of people lining up at their doors asking them to get them out of the deal after they have returned home !! The Toronto Star did a great article on just that alone a number of years ago.

However, I have gone on a rant it seems .

Gusts bothered by such tactics can certainly address their concerns about any bothersome tactics by simply asking to speak with the General Manager of the resort or asking for his email address (as I did a few years ago) where you can detail the specifics of your issue. They will make sure that your concerns are sent to their appropriate people at their head office in Spain - that is certain.

But, no matter what, the all mighty profit dollar is powerful - if concerns or issues are not directed to the management of any resort (not just to the guest services front line staff - it must be the Guest Services Manager) the concerns are worthless.

All properly managed resorts (and the Bahia's are one of many) hold daily management meetings to address numerous issues and directions - if they are receiving such concerns - especially in writing, they do direct these to the appropriate head office personnel if this is the area that must take care of the issue or address it further - otherwise they will make whatever decisions they are permitted to at resort level.

Basically this course of action is no different in the DR than right here in Canada or the USA - let your opinion be heard that truly should know, but remember, change takes time - put your smile back on and head to the pool/beach !!

John

Brooklin (Bubba King)

On
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time Shares at the Ambar (and others)

as annoying as they are, they are just trying to make a living..................one butler we know has previously worked as a vacation club rep at a different resort, and gave us much info on it. I find it best not to engage them ( they often start out with a conversation)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time Shares at the Ambar (and others)

They are profitable.. so why would they give it up... just give them a stiff no and go get a drink.. all set :)

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Time Shares at the Ambar (and others)

it is every travelers choice to take the crap of their pitch or not.

I myself hate them like the pest and for that reason I stay at properties which are not a timeshare club.

everyone here can choose for himself to take a hotel which includes the timeshare hassles or to book a property where such is not present, it is well known for each property.

happy travels

Mike

Bedford, Canada
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time Shares at the Ambar (and others)

I used to run a hotel. I would never think for a second it would be a great idea to set up a booth in the lobby, or have staff running around the lobby, strong arming guests into eating in my restaurant. I bet you that within seconds of the first conversation by a staff member that I would have a guest in my office chewing me out for doing such a thing. I would never inconvenience my guests in that way. Would it be profitable? Yes, I would just need 2 or 3 tables a day to offset the wages of the person in the lobby. Is it good service or offering my guests what they are looking for, a relaxing hotel stay.... most certainly not. I agree with John that they are getting you at a very vunerable time.

My point is, if you use reviews and comment cards as an indicator (which any good hospitality leader should) then it is obvious that the Ambar has an issue with this. Guests are complaining in a very public forum and as Mike say, he doesn't stay where the resorts support this.

If I go back to the Ambar, maybe I'll ask for the GM and bring him to the lobby and start asking guests if they like the "Timeshare Guys" hassling them. Well, maybe I'll be on the beach with a Bubba full of Presidente....but anyway.

London UK
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Time Shares at the Ambar (and others)

We had them in Europe for years and they were very persistent in places like Spain and Greece so I suppose we have had some experience with them.

The ones in comparison in the DR are rather tame and I only have to give them one look or a wave of the hand and they don't bother us. Mexico is far worse.

Don't forget most of the Hotel Chains in the Caribbean are Spanish or Spanish run, so it follows they will sell time/holidayshares if there is a market for it.

It seems it is mainly North Americans who buy them these days as we have seen it for years.

I haven't been bothered for years tbh. Just say no thanks.

snooks

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
2,433 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Time Shares at the Ambar (and others)

Time share sharks are even present in Disney World, just not as in-your-face, as in Punta Cana.

It is what it is. There is a big market for it, worth much more money than any complaints from travellers could push a resort to stop offering it.

Supply and demand rules the roost, and the demand is much higher than many realize.

London UK
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Time Shares at the Ambar (and others)

Well you will be approached by all kinds of vendors on the Beach etc. and if people don't know how to say NO then perhaps they shouldn't be travelling without their Parents!

LOL

snooks