We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VIK ARENAS vs Gran Bahia Punta Cana

London, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
VIK ARENAS vs Gran Bahia Punta Cana

We travelled to Punta last year and stayed at Grand Bahia in Royal Golden No real complaints it was spotless, food acceptable, staff incredible only draw back was beach was extremely crowded there has been alot of erosion. We are planning to return this year with my parents and 6 yr old and 13 year old. I don't like to go to same place twice but I agreed to do Punta Cana again looking to spend less that last year. Vik offers great deal for kids it doesn't need to glamorous but it does need to be clean and have good food and beach. The beach was pretty rough a few days last year what is beach like at VIK ? is it shallow and can you still get to market from that side by walking the beach? Is the sea grass any worse? Do I need to have the Cayena beach to get a half decent room close to beach ? we are looking to travel at the end of Jan. Other properties I was looking at are the Ifas Bavaro and Barcelo Punta cana. If NOW larimar went on sale I would take it in a second. Planning to use Noli we have had good luck with them any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
2,418 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VIK ARENAS vs Gran Bahia Punta Cana

Beach is calm...rooms you would need block 5 for ocean view.

england
Level Contributor
5,655 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VIK ARENAS vs Gran Bahia Punta Cana

VIK is by far the "Budget" option out of all the hotels you listed. Beach is pretty much the same as the others with the exception of the Barcelo Punta Cana.. IMO the BPC has the best stretch of beach but the wave action can be a bit "frisky".. Whilst the VIK has calmer water..

London, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VIK ARENAS vs Gran Bahia Punta Cana

Thanks for reply is block 5 an upgrade to the Cayenna section?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,137 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VIK ARENAS vs Gran Bahia Punta Cana

No it is not an upgrade to the Cayenna section.

The rooms in block 5 are not an upgrade either, just stand a better chance of a great ocean view.

england
Level Contributor
5,655 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VIK ARENAS vs Gran Bahia Punta Cana

Cayenna section is a seperate part of the hotel..Mostly "time share".

Block 5 is usually reserved for repeat guests but you might be lucky.. :-)

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,137 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: VIK ARENAS vs Gran Bahia Punta Cana

Not sure if this will work but here's a view from my room in the 5 Block....

www.facebook.com/photo.php…

P C
Ladysmith, Canada
Level Contributor
892 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: VIK ARENAS vs Gran Bahia Punta Cana

Dear crish70;

We considered the VIK 2 years ago. Friends went and cautioned us. We passed on it and chose another. VIK is a "budget friendly" place. For a few bucks more, very few, you can get Catalonia Bavaro - which has a very, very nice (and calm) beach, lots of space, clean, good food, and great service. The rooms are older, but clean. You should check it out.

PC

North Truro...
Level Contributor
8,595 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: VIK ARENAS vs Gran Bahia Punta Cana

For a few bucks more you can opt for Bavaro Princess which sits on a gorgeous stretch of beach, updated rooms that are suites, good food and great service with a smile!

Money well spent. We walked thru VIK....I'd pass. Read the reviews.

North Truro...
Level Contributor
8,595 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: VIK ARENAS vs Gran Bahia Punta Cana

PS....if you do decide to go with VIK, you can get it on Skyauction.

North Truro...
Level Contributor
8,595 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: VIK ARENAS vs Gran Bahia Punta Cana

One more thing, if you go to IFA, you could starve.