We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ladies trip - We chose Majestic Elegance - Questions

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
171 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Ladies trip - We chose Majestic Elegance - Questions

Trying to read as much as I can but have some questions that I don't want to forget:

What is there to do outside the resort? Is there anything close by?

The ocean -- read somewhere that it can be rough? Are we in the Caribbean Sea or Atlantic Ocean

Swim Up Rooms (not Club) - is the bathroom really not private?

Is there a party atmosphere at Excellence?

Drinks are served in large or small cups?

Has anybody done ATV's in Punta Cana?

Thank you for your answers and help!

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ladies trip - We chose Majestic Elegance - Questions

Hi,

I can't answer them all but here is my piece.

First of all you choose a great resort, I am sure you have a good time.

There is not much to do outside the resort. Punta Cana ois not really a town/city and far by the most people do not venture outside the resort on their own.

There are excretions to be done though. Things like day trips to Sanoma, horseback riding, a helicopter tour, fishing trips or trips along the country side and through villages.

Ocean can be rough, it depends on the weather and wind but it can also be calm, clear and most wonderful to swim in!

Bathrooms are open plan meaning that the sinks and mirror and bubble bath are in the room, no wall between that and the bed.

Toilet and the shower each have their own door that leads straight into the room. Shower is big enough the get changed in if you do not want to get naked in front of others but brushing teeth and such are done in the room with 'no' privacy.

The atmosphere depends a bit on the crowds and it can vary day to day. here is a disco that is open every night, great for dancing the night away and the bar is always lively at night.

Drinks are in hard plastic cups that are not high, I think they would measure up to something as a medium drink at a fast-food restaurant. You can have it refilled as many times as you like though!.

Can not help you with the ATV, sorry.

Amy

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
171 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ladies trip - We chose Majestic Elegance - Questions

Thank you for the good info.

We're not going until the first week in September so what will the beach be like then? I'm hoping the sea isn't rough as floating in the Caribbean Sea is on our agenda.

I've been to Punta Cana before but never left the hotel but this trip I do want to do some kind of excursion --- are there any that are not to be missed?

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
171 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ladies trip - We chose Majestic Elegance - Questions

in hard plastic cups? So is it worthwhile to take my Bubba Keg?

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
171 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ladies trip - We chose Majestic Elegance - Questions

Another Room Question -- We are not in the club section but our room is Majestic Jr. Suite which has direct access to the pool......what exactly does this mean and has anybody stayed in one of these rooms?

Arnprior, Canada
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ladies trip - We chose Majestic Elegance - Questions

Book a day or half a day with Punta Cana Mike. Email him in advance.

Ellicott City MD
Level Contributor
2,896 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ladies trip - We chose Majestic Elegance - Questions

Direct pool access means you are ground floor. As soon as you walk out your slider, there will be a grassy area and the pool will be within a few steps. Steps into the pool may or may not be close to your room.

Getting in won't be a problem but you may have to detour a bit to climb out unless you and your group are a bit more nimble.

Oh... Take the Bubbas!!!!

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
880 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ladies trip - We chose Majestic Elegance - Questions

I've stayed at both Elegance and Colonial. I didn't have a swim up room at Elegance but did at Colonial and seemed similar between the 2 resorts. It's on the main floor so gets less sunlight in the room than other floors but you can go directly from your room (which is closer to the main lobby than the beach as the swimup rooms closest to beach are club) into the pool and also vice-versa. However, there is no lock on the outside patio door so you may not want to wander off from the immediate area.

Nightlife is great in the lobby bar until about midnight/12.30 but then quietens down. As with most resort nightclubs - the place is dead until after 12am and is what you make of it.

I'd say always bring a bubba keg to Caribbean for day use! keeps drinks cool for longer, is more environmentally conscious and holds more fluid than the tiny plastic cups (4-6 oz) you get normally.

Ocean - we've stayed in March and May and waves could be rough but was fine most of the time and nowhere near like Cancun with it's major undertow. Water got much rougher further north near the Hard Rock resort

I've stayed at several Punta Cana resorts and think the Colonial and Elegance are good choices overall.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
171 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ladies trip - We chose Majestic Elegance - Questions

Thanks to everybody....so far, it looks like we made a good decision.

upstate NY
Level Contributor
165 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ladies trip - We chose Majestic Elegance - Questions

You will be swimming in the Atlantic Ocean - not the Caribbean Sea.

Bubbas or any insulated mug are a must have - keeps the sand out and the cold in.

If you search hotels here on Trip Advisor and look at the photos others have posted you will see the rooms, bathroom concept and many other areas including the beach.

We have done Outback Safari both full and half day, Extreme Dune Buggies (very dirty but fun)

Punta Cana Mike's tour come highly recommended.

It is a beautiful resort! We are going back for our 5th visit this coming January.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
171 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ladies trip - We chose Majestic Elegance - Questions

I thought Punta Cana was in the Caribbean Sea? Is the water still blue and clear like the Caribbean??