We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need some reassurance in order to book at Majestic Colonial

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
172 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
need some reassurance in order to book at Majestic Colonial

I am about to book at Majestic but am afraid of all the comments I have read about people falling ill in the D.R. (D.R. in general, not just the Majestic...) I did notice that some of the comments I read earlier today were all reviews on a particular resort from the same time period. I am trying to convince myself that the majority of the comments I have read were from a certain time frame. I would really like to go to the D.R. since I have yet to travel there but I am a little put off by all the reviewers that have fallen ill on vacation. I am a nurse so I do understand the concept of traveler's diarrhea, impact of certain foods, being out of your element...but a lot of things I read don't sound like the typical tummy ache.

Bavaro, Dominican...
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need some reassurance in order to book at Majestic Colonial

Its diffucult to say don't worry you won't get ill as your a nurse you'll know bugs can be picked up anywhere so look at it like this, how many thousands of people come here and don't get sick (not counting hangovers lol) if it was not safe to come here without getting ill how would it be one of the most popular tourist destinations in the Caribbean? Don't you think there would be red flag warnings all over the place?

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
172 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need some reassurance in order to book at Majestic Colonial

I get what you're saying. I think that what really got me was a newer but reputable travel website that highlights destinations wrote about the DR and its frequency of tummy issues on their site. I'd say which one but I'm not sure if its against posting rules. ?

On
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need some reassurance in order to book at Majestic Colonial

we have been 9X and any tummy troubles I have had have been self inflicted, I am a nurse also as well as a germ a phobe...........use the hand sanitizer on entering the buffets and restaurants ect wash your hands frequently ect you should be fine

Oshawa
Level Contributor
92 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need some reassurance in order to book at Majestic Colonial

We have also been to the DR many times. My hubby used to get stomach issues (I never have yet). We noticed that some resorts would only rinse glasses rather than wash them and thought this might have been the cause. We started bringing our own cups and have not had a problem since. Avoid the tap water and you should be fine.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,931 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need some reassurance in order to book at Majestic Colonial

I've been to the Dominican Republic more than 20 times and I've never had a problem that a little Immodium didn't solve.

Mark

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
172 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need some reassurance in order to book at Majestic Colonial

Thanks for the responses. I'm still thinking about which resort we would choose.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
629 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: need some reassurance in order to book at Majestic Colonial

I have been to the Majestic Colonial and thought for an All Inclusive it was great! The Majestic Elegance is right next door and newer...

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
850 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: need some reassurance in order to book at Majestic Colonial

I think it is mostly over-indulgence under the hot humid sun after several hours cooped up with 200 people on a plane. We were married at colonial and had 45 guests. With 2 people getting quite sick for one day. U think if anything was widespread those numbers would be higher. My wife used to get sick for one day every trip. We figured out she was getting sick from the seafood. She doesn't eat the seafood anymore and no more problem. You might get sick but I don't think colonial or punta Cana is different from similar resorts elsewhere. You have to figure out your weaknesses in such climates and figure out coping mechanisms.

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
14,819 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: need some reassurance in order to book at Majestic Colonial

http://mytravelclinic.com/cholera-dukoral.php

New Haven...
Level Contributor
100 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: need some reassurance in order to book at Majestic Colonial

I was at the Majestic Colonial the last week of May this year and we had the time of our lives. Never got sick (as opposed to when we traveled to DR in 06 at diff hotel), beach was amazing, accomodations were great, staff was friendly and we didnt have the beach restaurant to go to since it had burned down weeks before we arrived and was under contruction. Truly a great time and our friends (who after the 06 trip were very sceptical to EVER go back to the DR) were very happy about having come back as well. We also ate and drank everything, just be sure to always keep yourself hydrated with H20 if you feel thirsty its likely b/c you are already dehydrated. We drank everyday and there were days that I would need to just drink water on the beach for a few hours before having a cocktail.