We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are prices like in Punta Cana

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Hubert, Quebec
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What are prices like in Punta Cana

Hi going to ME in Feb and want to bring back some local art to decorate our home. What are the dominicans know for? and what are the prices like and is it hard to bring back to Canada?

Also, I know that DR is known for its rum, but i still have loads left from my trip to cuba last year. Is there any other liquor we can get at a reduced price like vodka?

Bavaro, Dominican...
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are prices like in Punta Cana

Have a look at bringing back a bottle of mamajuana, its different and makes a great souvenir, some really nice taino paintings available along the beaches at a range of prices also look out for the faceless dolls, meant to represent the fact that various cultures make up the Dominican people

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What are prices like in Punta Cana

For the paintings (colourful Haitian market scenes are popular) you'll need good negotiation skills to get the best price. I've heard of the first price given as $US300, which was eventually haggled down to $US30 !!!

Jewelry in amber and larimar is popular. Do some internet research first to be able to identify the fake stuff or buy from a reputable vendor like Harrisons or La Reina Dominicana http://www.cigarsjewlerypuntacana.com/

Carvings in wood and some sort of soapstone are abundant.

If you can find them Dominican Carnival Masks made from papier-mâché are rather nice as are some replica Taino god stone figurines.

I do like the Haitian metal art made from steel drums.

There's a shop in Veron called Casa Holanda that is a treasure trove of art and things for the home and garden. It has a big windmill outside. They also have a "vivero" (flowers & plants) where you can see all sorts of orchids. puntacanatv.com/punta-cana-shopping-casa-hol…

Happy shopping!

3. Re: What are prices like in Punta Cana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2013, 10:16