We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My daughter's iPod was stolen in Punta Cana

BC
Level Contributor
433 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
My daughter's iPod was stolen in Punta Cana

As we have done 100s of times since we have been here and when we were in Mexico my daughter left her iPod on one of our beach chairs under a towel and someone came by and stole it. They had to watch her do it as it wasn't laying out. My daughter is of course devastated as this is how she has been communicating with her friends back home and that is important when you are 14.

Just a word of warning just be careful when you leave things unattended.

Wasaga Beach, Canada
Level Contributor
356 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: My daughter's iPod was stolen in Punta Cana

I never leave important things lying around no matter where I am especially electronics. They disappear quickly in Canada also.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,197 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My daughter's iPod was stolen in Punta Cana

Would you leave an iPod under a towel in a public place back home?

Mark

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
594 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My daughter's iPod was stolen in Punta Cana

My husband left his accidentally on a pool chair under a towel on our last day. We didn't even realize until packing the next day. Literally just before boarding our van to get to airport they found it and rushed it to us. This was at Sanctuary Cap Cana. They really worked hard to find it for us. We were really grateful and very happily surprised.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,038 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My daughter's iPod was stolen in Punta Cana

Yikes I would never leave anything valuable unattended on the beach here at home, let alone in the Dominican Republic. Sorry for her misfortune. Lesson learned, I guess.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,489 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My daughter's iPod was stolen in Punta Cana

Sorry for your daughter's loss and the warning.

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My daughter's iPod was stolen in Punta Cana

I only keep a few ones at the pool for tipping. Because it is so expensive to call anywhere we always leave our phone in the room safe. If we do take something like a reader we always put it in our beach bag.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,477 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My daughter's iPod was stolen in Punta Cana

As we have done 100s of times since we have been here and when we were in Mexico my daughter left her iPod on one of our beach chairs .....

Sounds like you were lucky 99 or more times and then your luck ran out.

As we were taught from a young age, don't leave anything unattended that you can't afford to lose.

Even then, there are thieves everywhere, it's not that PC is bad, or Mexico is bad, or wherever.

We met a guy who had his cheap rubber flip flops (along with his money and towel and everything else) stolen when he went for a swim in Hawaii.

We always considered one of the perqs of an A-I beach trip to be that you don't have to carry much to the beach with you, less chance of anything valuable being stolen.

A couple bucks for tips, a cheap paperback to read, the resort's towel, some sunlotion and you're good for the day.

Or you get a little walk back to your room if you just can't go through the day without connecting electronically, then the valuables go back in the safe.

Good lesson learned, sorry it had to be learned the hard way.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
379 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My daughter's iPod was stolen in Punta Cana

Never had a problem. We leave it all at home.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
13,857 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My daughter's iPod was stolen in Punta Cana

A few tips to follow the ipod under a towel rule...seeing that it worked 100's of times before.

1. When leaving on vacation...leave your doors unlocked at home....just leave the lights on so it looks like someone is there.

2. When leaving your car parked at the Park and Fly....leave the doors unlocked (just in case the freeze while you are away).

3. While at the resort, leave your door open during the day while you are away. Those electronic keys are always failing.

It should come as little surprise that when you leave something of value unattended, there is a good chance it will not be there upon your return. Simple common sense in today's world...no matter where you might be.

As mentioned above in a previous post....sorry for your daughter's misfortune, but a lesson learned at the same time. Good chance that at the mall, she would not do the same...leave the ipod on a table under a bag and head off to the bathroom.

murillo
Level Contributor
6,574 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My daughter's iPod was stolen in Punta Cana

i could see an ipod getting burried in the sand under your lounger...I only bring a shuffle to the beach , and keep it attached to a bb cap. listen to tunes in the pool as well...Too bad for her , hope you didn't have many more days left , to be without yours...lol