We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
550 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping

How much in small American bills do you take to tip with? We are going for one week. Or do the staff prefer DR money... Just wondering as I'm not sure if they are charged for exchanging American money in the DR

Edited: 26 December 2012, 00:27
P C
Ladysmith, Canada
Level Contributor
885 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping

Dear Friends;

Best to take USD [universally accepted in the DR]. For tipping, as a couple, we take $100 USD in single bills each. There is no need to convert to DR Pesos. We also take larger USD bills for purchases at the markets.

Here is a tip: leave your umbrella at home. If you take one, don't put it in your carry on. Most, if not all, resorts in the DR provide umbrellas for use by the guests - they are in the closet. LOL.

PC

On
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping

we take 100-150 for the both of us for a week, take US funds, some will argue you should tip in the Dominican peso but to me a tip is a gift you give, should be at your convenience at least to my mind and the US $ is easier for me even though i am from Canada

Canada
Level Contributor
853 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping

I've actually seen staff prefer USD to pesos. $100 for the week should be plenty.

Think of it this way:

$3/day for the maid = $21

$5/dinner = $35

$3/breakfast = $21

That's $77 there. It leaves about $33 for random tips during the day... Bartenders, etc. That's roughly $4/day extra which is plenty.

However, we've seen that staff tend to like Canadian items from a dollar store. So it doesn't hurt to sometimes give gifts instead.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping

It is much easier for the hotel employees to change USD to pesos (and for a better rate than you would get) than it is for you to scrounge up enough small denomination peso notes and coins for tipping ( unless you plan to to tip in 100 and 500 peso bills which is generous) Seriously, when they go home they can exchange USD on almost literally every corner in their barrio.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,177 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping

USD for tipping is fine but to correct ryguy the local Dominicans would actually prefer pesos so they do not have to spend the time to change the money themselves. EVERYTHING they need and buy they use pesos to do so not USD.

Having said that if you were to tip in peosos (but USD remember are just fine) make sure you are converting in your head. If you want to leave a dollar tip you need to leave 40-41 pesos The current exchange that they will get in town is 40.1-40.2 pesos to the dollar.

But again USD are just fine. However NO coins, No loonies or twonies.

BObK.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
7,950 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping

Good idea to point out the "no coins" thing. I know some people think it's fun to tip in the US $1 coins (Sacajawea) or they even bring along $2 bills as a novelty.... just useless to the folks you're trying to thank.

Last time, upon departure, while I was waiting for a taxi, the bellmen asked if I'd mind changing some of their US coin to $1 bills. Of course I helped them out.... added a few pounds (ok not that much) to my carry-on, but was happy to take $20 in coin from them in exchange for paper money which they could use. Had to wonder, though, who was giving these guys nickels and dimes?

North Truro...
Level Contributor
8,577 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping

Wow..I guess we're big tippers. We have done $100. for a week but have done $300. for a week as well but it is whatever you are comfortable with. We return to the same resort alot so I think that makes a difference. Anything is appreciated but if you only bring $100 and you tip your transfer driver each way and buy souvenirs, you could end up short. Better to bring a bit extra and bring it back home with you.

And never forget to tip the musicians at the airport. That would just be bad karma.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
7,950 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping

Agreed on the musicians! I tip them, just as I tip the guys playing in the subway in NYC...... gotta show my appreciation for their talent and thanks for entertaining me while I wait for my train.

North Truro...
Level Contributor
8,577 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping

So true pooz...but I must say I prefer the ambiance in PUJ over NYC any day!

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
740 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping

We usually bring $300 for our 10 days, but I also see we are bigger tippers there. We get so much fun out of them, we feel they should get something from us.

We leave $5 for lunch and dinner, 3-4 for breakfast, and a whole lot at the bars.

$3-5 per day for our maid

:)