We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dealing with Seaweed

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
200 posts
235 reviews
Save Topic
Dealing with Seaweed

I know to many it is not a big concern, but my family loves the ocean. Which hotels have the least seaweed if any??? We stayed at Dreams Palm Beach in November and want to go back to Punta Cana but try somewhere else. We want beautiful clear ocean water.

Mentioned in this post
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
Dreams Palm Beach Punta...
11,162 Reviews
Dominican Republic
New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
6,004 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dealing with Seaweed

Have you looked into Dreams La Romana!

Brantford, Canada
Level Contributor
179 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dealing with Seaweed

Try looking at the Hard Rock if your budget permits...the ocean is beautiful up that way, very clear and wide with big waves.

I don't like seaweed either (it doesn't phase my husband though) and I've preferred the ocean more North along the beach from where you stayed at Dreams Palm Beach.

Mentioned in this post
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
Dreams Palm Beach Punta...
11,162 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,142 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dealing with Seaweed

Since the presence of seaweed is a natural occurrence, like rain, it's sort of hard to predict which resort will have the least amount on any given day or during any given week. Someone may chime in claiming that where they are right now has none, but who's to say there won't be some offshore winds or a tide shift, and the beach will be covered next week...

I love the ocean too, and of course we would all love beautiful, clear ocean water. I spend my days on the beach, and a lot of time in the water. For me, the presence of seaweed is no big deal.... it's just there, as are the fish and all the other living organisms. If I wanted clear water with nothing floating around, then I guess the pool is an option.....

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,803 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dealing with Seaweed

The resorts are at the mercy of Mother Nature with respect to whether or not seaweed washes ashore at their beach. Most have crews that clean up promptly, but it all depends upon the time of year, the prevailing winds, and the tides.

As 'sackie' suggested, the southern Caribbean waters of the La Romana area might be better for you, rather-than the Atlantic Ocean waters of Punta Cana. The Dreams resort there is excellent!

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dealing with Seaweed

Never seen oodles of seaweed when we have been to PC - there were a couple of days with some in the ocean when we were there last month, but not tons, and it was raked off the beach very quickly. Totally agree you are at the mercy of the weather tho - went to one resort (not PC) and didn't see a single piece of seaweed, went the exact same week the following year, and there was loads!

On
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dealing with Seaweed

the seaweed depends on the weather out at sea, been to the same resort 9 times, only had a seaweed issue on the last trip ( Oct , hurricane season) there was so much seaweed in the water I could hardly walk in the surf

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
2,641 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dealing with Seaweed

I think Arizona is clear of all seaweed

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
2,896 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dealing with Seaweed

I agree Oceans have seaweed,, to varying degrees some areas worse then others

If you want crystal clear calm waters (again weather related)( but consistently calmer and clearer then PC) as Sakie said La Romana area

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dealing with Seaweed

La Romana (Bayahibe) has also had their sea grass problems this year. Totally weather dependant.

Mentioned in this post
Bayahibe
Bayahibe
Dominican Republic
ohio
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Dealing with Seaweed

and Hard Rock may not have much seaweed but the beach is very rocky there if that is a concern - also isolated from other areas