We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saftey in DR specifically Punta Cana

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cobourg Ontario
Level Contributor
318 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Saftey in DR specifically Punta Cana

Throughout some reviews I've read, for numerous hotels (it's taken us forever to actually pick one haha) and also some stuff on FB, through friends, etc....I've read just a few, but concerning comments about safety in the DR.

We've been to Cuba many times, and I always felt safe leaving the resorts, going downtown veradero by cab .,... one year it was just my 13 year old and myself and I still did this and felt safe doing so.

We (fiance and I) will be coming to the DR in June for our honeymoon. We are looking forward to some excursions, but wonder if we can venture around in the same manner as we did in Cuba.

Thanks

Bavaro, Dominican...
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saftey in DR specifically Punta Cana

Absolutely, use the same common sense as you would at home or anywhere else and enjoy yourself

BC
Level Contributor
432 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saftey in DR specifically Punta Cana

Punta Cana Mike just took myself and my three girls (11, 14 & 18) our to the Barreo (sorry if I spelt it wrong) where his school is and we felt very comfortable. The people there were very friendly and welcoming it was amazing! The kids were beautiful and all smiles and were hugging us before we even got out of the car! That being said I would use the same common sense I would use at home in a strange city, know where I am going, let someone know where I am going and when I'll be back etc. Also if I wasn't comfortable I wouldn't go out people know when you are not and if there is a bad seed in the crowd they are likely to find you.

On
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saftey in DR specifically Punta Cana

we go to the grand Palladium and there is a village next door El Correcto and I have never felt unsafe there even when I go by myself

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,073 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saftey in DR specifically Punta Cana

If you use the same common sense you would at home or when traveling anywhere, don't flash lots of money or jewels, stay out of "dark alleys' just like home. You will do fine

Remember the hotels and tour operators will tell you it is dangerous to leave te resort unless of course you do so on one of their expensive excrsions. They make money that way and none if you do it on your own or hire your own taxi.

We have lived herefor 7 years and have never looked over our shoulder

BObK

Edited: 31 December 2012, 11:54
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,672 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saftey in DR specifically Punta Cana

We have been to both Cuba and DR several times and felt perfectly safe at both destinations

As others have said just take the normal precautions

Cobourg Ontario
Level Contributor
318 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Saftey in DR specifically Punta Cana

Okay thank you everyone!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,931 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Saftey in DR specifically Punta Cana

Don't go around flashing your Rolex.

Mark

Cobourg Ontario
Level Contributor
318 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Saftey in DR specifically Punta Cana

don't have one, but gotcha lol

9. Re: Saftey in DR specifically Punta Cana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2014, 21:16