We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GBP Punta Cana royal golden --upgrade to Esmerelda

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
GBP Punta Cana royal golden --upgrade to Esmerelda

wondering if it would be worth upgrading ( or is it even possible) to the Esmerelda from the royal golden punta cana? I am concerned about the lack of chairs at the beach and am thinking that an upgrade to a resort with a private beach might be good for us. Anyone have any idea what this might cost or if it is even possible?

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,529 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GBP Punta Cana royal golden --upgrade to Esmerelda

Welcome to the forum, LDnurse89:

Firstly, know that the "private beach" at the Esmeralda (as well as the Ambar) is really just a small section of guest-exclusive loungers immediately adjacent to their pool deck, and does NOT continue down to the water! In-fact, ANY Gran Bahia guest of any age or resort section has access to the area that is just in-front of those small sections.

Onsite upgrades are always subject to availability at check-in, and you should upgrade in-advance with your tour operator to avoid disappointment.

Fellow Destination Expert "Brooklin" may possibly know the upgrade cost from the Punta Cana Royal Golden to the Luxury Esmeralda.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GBP Punta Cana royal golden --upgrade to Esmerelda

LDnurse89,

If your only reason for upgrading is the private beach I wouldn't recommend it.

When we were there last year I saw it and commented that if I had upgraded

it for that reason I would have been upset. It is a small roped off section with many loungers crowded in as is the rest of the beach. Completly shaded, farthest from beach and most guest walk past that section to get to the beach by the water. I can't comment on any other perks we were in Royal Golden and I was very happy with room and roo location.

Crish

Brooklin, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
12,998 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GBP Punta Cana royal golden --upgrade to Esmerelda

LDnurse89,

Many guests do prefer having a private area - but as mentioned, it is right next to the pool deck - is a decent size, but does not extend to the ocean, simply due to the laws in the Dominican Republic, as beach areas - traditionally next to the ocean, must be kept public, which permits guests to walk the miles of beachfront in Punta Cana.

The private beach area in front of the Ambar and Esmeralda resorts contain a large number of palapas and palms and is identified by discreetly placed white low aluminum railing sections about 21/2 ft in height - I have noticed photos of these on guest photos here on Tripadvisor under the Ambar and Esmeralda resorts.

Of course, there are many other features at the Esmeralda versus the Bavaro & Punta Cana resorts.

As fellow Destination Expert "Travelpro" has mentioned, the resort highly recommends that guests wishing to upgrade, do so prior to arrival, with their Travel Agent/Tour Operator which is less costly and basically guarantees you the upgrade, as they are subject to availability.

The cost to upgrade to the Esmeralda, when at the resort is $35US per person per day.

Hope this does assist you.

John

Brooklin (Bubba King)

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GBP Punta Cana royal golden --upgrade to Esmerelda

thanks everyone! you have solidified my decision to stay put and enjoy Royal Golden

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
39 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GBP Punta Cana royal golden --upgrade to Esmerelda

I've stayed at the GBP Royal Golden twice and I would recommend it over the Esmeralda. Brooklin and Crish are correct. The "private" beach at the Esmeralda is a roped off section close to the resort buildings and not close to the water. In fact, we laid on the beach in front of their "private beach" most days. Try to get a room in bldg 1 or 2 - excellent location right beside the beach and main pool area at GBP.

Enjoy GBP Royal Golden - it was worth the upgrade from the other sections of the GBP complex.

Brooklin, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
12,998 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GBP Punta Cana royal golden --upgrade to Esmerelda

FromNStoCuba,

You will notice quite a difference in the private beach area now, at both the Ambar and the Esmeralda resorts. Both resorts have each added dozens of new palapss on the beach and greatly extended their private beach areas to well beyond the palm tree line - much closer to the ocean than in the past.

The private beach areas are still identified by discreetly placed white aluminium railing sections approx 2& 1/2 ft high by 4 ft in length

Hope this does help.

John

Brooklin (Bubba King)

7. Re: GBP Punta Cana royal golden --upgrade to Esmerelda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2014, 06:16