We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any other way to Saona

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
729 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Any other way to Saona

I am curious why all of the excursions for Saona leave from La Romana? It seems like the tourism industry is much bigger in Punta Cana but that the excursion operators are all based over in Romana....Is there a political reason for this, or is it just the way it worked out? Looking at a map Saona looks nearly equadistant from Punta Cana as it is from Romana by boat....

Is there anyway to go there from Punta Cana that doesn't involve being on a bus for over an hour? I think it would be fun to go visit, but I don't want to do a full day trip!

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,385 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any other way to Saona

Saona Island is a reserve off the coast of LaRomana/Bayahibe, an hour's road trip south of Punta Cana, hence the reason most excursions to this island in their national park leaves from there!

It would be significantly longer to sail there from Punta Cana!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
729 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any other way to Saona

Thanks for the reply. What about by Speed/Power boat? It seems like it maybe 10 miles or so further by water, and certainly Catalina looks closer to PC by boat...

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
2,414 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any other way to Saona

Saona is much closer to La Romana, than the Northern, Atlantic side of Punta Cana, where the majority of PC resorts are located.

Edited: 15 January 2013, 16:01
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
2,414 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any other way to Saona

Ummm, whatever map you are looking at, throw it away...... lol

;-)

Catalina is right off the coast from La Romana.

Saona, would be about a 26 mile boat ride from La Romana, and about a 55 mile boat ride from the middle of the PC area.

Edited: 15 January 2013, 16:04
Arnprior, Canada
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any other way to Saona

I had dinner with a couple that did the tour last year. They said that given it was a 12 hour day, they would not do it again. I suppose its up to the individual.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Any other way to Saona

iut bhas nothing to do with the fact that Saona Island is part of a Natural Preserve(which sorrily gets killed on daily bases by the Masses brought over there by the tourcompanies, hence its beauty is gone since years, many reef and waterlife dead since a while).

we spent a night on board of the boats ankering at Saona Island Beaches every time when we travel by boat south to La Romana or Boca Chica or Santo Domingo.

who said it would be the same distance from Punta Cana to Saona than it is from Bayahibe(the base for the tours is Not in La Romana, but in Bayahibe) should consider to purchase a new Map, as by far it isn't.

to reach Saona Island from the East/Punta Cana you have to cross the usually superrough open Waters off the Mouth of Yuma/Boca de Yuma, many days of the year impossible for the speedboats, most times impossible for the Catamarans(they would anyways need much to long for the ride to do such 2-way on just one day including a few hours spent on the island).

from punta cana you would need to rent one of the offshore yachts to visit Saona Island, for small groups of up to 6 persons, maybe 8 but that would be crowdy, costs for such ride would count in the range of 3-4K per day/per 2-way ride due the immense fuel costs on such run on high speed, it would be very risky to be canceled due rough Sea conditions around Boca de Yuma, hence not worth for the owners of the offshore yachts in Cap Cana and Punta Cana to consider to book the boats with such risky tour, it is much less risky to book the usual sports fishing as that get's canceled due rough Sea conditions 10 times less than a Saona Island Tour by water from PC would be.

happy travels

Mike

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Any other way to Saona

a lil addy to the above given info:

no way the inshore ankered boats present in Cortecito/around Jellyfish/Bavaro Beach area could make a ride to Saona and come back, they are engine wise not equipped for such runs. the boats ready for such are without exception docked at the Eastshore Marinas, the Punta Cana Marina and the Cap cana Marina, but none available for a Saona Tour as far as i would know.

Mike

Bristol, Connecticut
Level Contributor
203 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any other way to Saona

A couple of years ago my husband and I went on a Saona Island tour. We booked it at our resort after arriving. We were at Ambar in Punta Cana. We traveled by bus to take a Catamaran to Saona Island where we enjoyed a beach bbq, shopping and sun. We returned by speed boat and stopped for photo opportunities with starfish. Then the bus took us back to the resort. You can do it from Punta Cana, and yes it's a long day, but it was a fun day. Check with your resort upon arrival. Arranging this trip should be easy at the excursion desk.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
729 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any other way to Saona

Awesome Info Mike. I had no idea the waters could be so rough around there! Also as far as the map went, i saw where punta cana was labeled on google maps and forgot that most of the hotels were on the north side!

Thanks for all the feedback!

10. Re: Any other way to Saona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2014, 05:18