We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Resort? Or your own suggestions???

Beautiful, North...
Level Contributor
257 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Which Resort? Or your own suggestions???

We will be travleing with our 3 year old in October. We are looking for a clean & calm beach, kids swimming pool & activities, a room with a separate bedroom (we can close the door between bedroom & living area or a loft), and decent food. After researching, price comparing and looking at what we get at each resort, I feel like i have it narrowed down to:

(in no particular order)

Grand Palladium Palace (loft room)

Barcelo Bavaro Palace deluxe (one bedroom, "family deluxe")

Dreams La Romana (their "family room" is actually 2-connecting rooms)

Catalonia Gran Dominicus (2 connecting rooms)

Each resort has its own perks. I don't know about the La Romana area, the ride from airport may be too long...?? And Grand Palladium's kids club starts at age 4, but they have the loft rooms, its inexpensive and they have a greta kids pool area. Barcelo seems nice overall....Any thoughts/suggestions?? Or am i missing out on a resort that would be a good value/price?? We are looking at (about) $1200 including flight. I sometimes feel like i am going in circles looking at all these resorts!! There are so many to choose from!!

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
575 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Resort? Or your own suggestions???

I have to put my plug in for Dreams La Romana. I love that resort. The beach is very calm and yes they have limited family rooms (which the great thing is - they are there only true full ocean view rooms).

They have supposedly finished new highway between Punta Cana and La Romana that makes it only 45 minute ride (not bad at all). I actually flew into the airport in La Romana which is only like 10 minutes from the hotel. It is hard to find connections into their airport though but it is also a nice international airport.

Dreams La Romana has a kids pool by the main pool. But also the Infinity Pool where the swim up bar is has a shallow center section that is perfect for small children and adults together. There is kind of an underwater bridge going directly through the middle of the Infinity pool that is about 8 foot wide and only about a foot deep with steps coming off onto both sides of pool. Our daughter was 4 at the time and was perfect play spot for her while we were in pool with her.

We did not utilize the kids club in La Romana except for Easter day and the easter egg hunt and easter bunny visit. The kids club is located out on the beach. Dreams Punta Cana has the best kids club of the Dreams Dominican locations as it has the pirate ship with slide off of it.

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,791 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Resort? Or your own suggestions???

Gotta love Dreams La Romana! And if you fly into that airport, it's just minutes away. Worse case scenario, it's an hour transfer time from Punta Cana International.

Next choice would be a loft at the Grand Palladium Palace. And their 'mini-club' kids program starts at age 3!

Happy Travels whichever you choose!

Beautiful, North...
Level Contributor
257 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Resort? Or your own suggestions???

I wish it was easy to book the Dreams family room. It is not a room option on any site such as expedia, orbitz etc. Booking through one of these (types) of travel sites is the best price for flight & hotel combined. Heck, it isn't even an option on Dreams' website for booking!! :) I have messaged Kerry back and forth already, she has givien me a price of an extra $200 a night for the "family room" which isn't much of a "deal"

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
575 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Resort? Or your own suggestions???

Not a deal but they are in a great location.

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Resort? Or your own suggestions???

We've been to both the Palladium (in a loft suite) and Dreams La Romana (when it was still Sunscape Casa Del Mar). With a 3 year old, I think I'd recommend DLR. It's more compact and the water is calmer. We shared a room with 10 year old twins at DLR and with 15 year old twins at the Palladium!

Beautiful, North...
Level Contributor
257 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Resort? Or your own suggestions???

^ Yes, if our daughter was older, having one room would be fine. But, we really need a room where we can put her to sleep and not have to be tip toeing around the room on our relaxing evenings...

7. Re: Which Resort? Or your own suggestions???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2014, 06:16