We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping

Woodstock
13 posts
Save Topic
tipping

I've heard that leaving little gifts for the maids is much appreciated. i have a slight obsession with bath and body works and was thinking of taking some of my stock lol such as hand sanitizers and lotions to leave for the maids. Would this be appropriate?

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,077 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tipping

In addition to a cash tip, of course. Instead of cash, not so much. Hard to feed a family and keep the lights on, with body lotion.

Very generous gesture.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
2,428 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tipping

You can, but people in DR have access to anything they need/want, so cash is always suggested.

Happy travels.

Edited: 17 January 2013, 14:49
N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tipping

We always tip with money and also small gifts.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,904 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tipping

Dominicans are very polite and would demonstrate appreciation of the gift. That said life in the DR is pretty tough for most people, and hence a cash tip to help pay the electricity bill or other is more useful,

Woodstock
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: tipping

Yes I was thinking in addition to a cash tip. Thanks everyone!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,010 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tipping

It's a nice thought, but...

You might have different maids during your stay, or possibly even on the same day, if there's turn down service. Also, there will be different people stocking your fridge, snacks, etc.

Also, it could be that they pool the tips by sections, or among all the maid service people.

Each of them will service many rooms each day. If lots of people leave gifts, they'd end up with a lot of bathroom products each week.

If you want to give a gift to a particular individual, then I think you should personally hand it to them rather than leaving it for them.

But monetary tips would be preferred, I think.

Mark

7. Re: tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2014, 05:17