We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why is everyone getting sick in Punta Cana?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
michigan
4 posts
Save Topic
Why is everyone getting sick in Punta Cana?

It seems that everytime I read the Forum, it does not matter what resort I'm reading about, most of the topics are about people getting sick. We planning a trip in April to the Rui Bamboo and its got us scared. What should we be looking out for? I'm looking forward to the all day Happy Hour, but we have to eat while we are there. Any suggestions?

Milano, Italy
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Why is everyone getting sick in Punta Cana?

Again, I was in Club Med for one week and I felt great. Now I'm back home and I feel great as well. I did not take any kind of medicine before leaving and then I was there I just tried to use my "common sense" (like avoiding to eat tons of fruit)

Michigan
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Why is everyone getting sick in Punta Cana?

We have heard the same thing. We've check out several posts on the: DR1.com web page forums. It's different from person to person and resort to resort. We're going to Punta Cana on the 23rd and were also very concerned. If you are traveling before the Feb 15th you can redirect your vacation location, but not if your leaving after the 15th. It sounds to me like everything will be "cleaned" up by the last week in Feb.

West New York, New...
Level Contributor
210 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why is everyone getting sick in Punta Cana?

Like Chuck D said..."Don't believe the hype"

Michigan
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Why is everyone getting sick in Punta Cana?

To continue. . . we read that the problem was the personal hygene habit or lack of with the help and it's being addressed. We are just taking along the Amodium D, Pepto, Tums and Alka Seltzer. We're going anyway and we're going to have a great time! This is what 25th wedding anniversaries are for!!!!

West New York, New...
Level Contributor
210 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why is everyone getting sick in Punta Cana?

beermug...I don't think that is a very constructive statement I also believe it to be speculative and false<<<<see Tizi that was a very nice way of saying what I said on the 'sick as a dog thread'>>>

atlanta
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Why is everyone getting sick in Punta Cana?

I think getting sick varies from person to person. I have been to Mexico & Caribbean with my husband and kids many times. I get sick everytime we go. They have never gotten sick and we are eating and drinking the same stuff. I have just learned to get the prescription Cipro before going and then when I start cramping I take the medicine. It works great. Instead of being uncomfortable for a couple of days, I'm good to go in a couple of hours. My husband says I don't drink enough alcohol to kill the germs. It sure works for him.

Going to Ocean Sands / Ocean Blue in April. Can't wait!!

ottawa
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Why is everyone getting sick in Punta Cana?

We were at the Barcelo Bavaro Beach resort last week. I did not hear of anyone being sick at that resort. I did hear that they had closed the RIUs in Punta Cana, don't know if it's true.

We sanitized our hands frequently especially before we ate.

We were four in our party and only one got sick for one day, with Tourista. He was fine after that.

Did not see one mosquitoe and I did not get the drugs for Malaria. I was also very worried before leaving but don't believe everything you read. Have an excellent trip. I would go back in a jiffy.

ottawa
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Why is everyone getting sick in Punta Cana?

Forgot to mention that the fried chicken in all resorts is great. We have had it for the last 5 years at different resorts and it is very well cooked. The pork too. I don't eat beef so did not taste it but I heard they don't know how to prepare beef very well.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why is everyone getting sick in Punta Cana?

We were there the end of January and none of us got sick. But it like tootsie said it varies from person to person. Bring some immodium and tums, and don't drink the tap water! People do know this but keep in mind that you do forget while brushing your teeth..always use bottled water...

victoria canada
Level Contributor
581 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why is everyone getting sick in Punta Cana?

we were their for two weeks in Jan, never got sick eat and drank and had a ball, they say easy on the fruit (so much of it)for the first cauple days to get your system used to it, amd allis good. To many negative posts, go relax and have fun thats what hoildays are for. You can get sick at home too.

happy travels , it's a great place, Skipper