We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just looking for a simple sailing ride along the coast

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
129 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Just looking for a simple sailing ride along the coast

Is anyone aware of a tour that offers just a simple catamaran sail? I don't want to go snorkeling, go on a party boat, or have to spend an hour or more on a bus just to get to where the boat is. We're staying at the Ocean Blue and I'm just hoping to go for a little cruise for an hour or so along the coastline.

Ellicott City MD
Level Contributor
2,893 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just looking for a simple sailing ride along the coast

Thats a really good question.

So you would prefer something right off the beach.

Hmmm

Well.. most of the catamarans are either the tiny 2 person sailboats let out by the watersports hut at the resorts or the big organized "party" boats that require you to meet at a location...board a smaller boat...blah blah

I know... you don't want that.

To my knowledge... don't think so.

You could ask at the water sports hut at your hotel and see if one of the guys would take you out for a cruise.

My wife and I jumped on a water taxi

(single engine boat with driver)

and rode for about 5 miles south to visit a friend last year at a beach bar.

The coast line was sooooo nice to see from from a different view.

You could probably work something out with one of the "cabbies"

That will cost you some money.

The first option might be better.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
129 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just looking for a simple sailing ride along the coast

Thanks. I'll look into it further when we get there. I wouldn't really mind the "party boat" atmosphere, since I definitely do indulge. The Saona Island trip sounds amazing, and my daughter did it on her honeymoon. I just don't want something that I have to spend an hour or more on a bus to get there and lasts all day. I'd love a sunset cruise, but, obviously, that's not an option.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
219 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just looking for a simple sailing ride along the coast

I have been looking for the same thing and the closest thing I found was the BEBE. A small 36ft catamaran only takes 20 people max and they bill them selfs and a alternative to the "big booze cruise tours". They do serve drinks and food depending on which tour you take and it looks like there is a stop for snorkling.

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
14,797 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just looking for a simple sailing ride along the coast

Bus is now less than an hour to pick up point in Bayahibe due to the new Coral Highway.

Tropical Storm is no longer operating, they use to offer a sunset cruise, perhaps the new operators do....somebody locally might know.

Send a pm the vienemo and ask Mike the questions.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Just looking for a simple sailing ride along the coast

Bayahibe is one hour one way from many bavaro hotels, IF you drive straight on, but the usual procedure is that guests are collected in different hotels, brought to a collecting point where they then bord a bigger bus to start the 1hrs ride, plus any stops at the Vendor Gift Shop Traps, so a straight 1hr one way transfer to Bayahibe for a Saona Island Tour will only hapopen if you book with a small outfitter running just one Bus/Van to transfer straight from the hotel to Bayahibe, without any shops involved.

sunset cruises are offered by the Marinarium Catamaran Operator, their site is on http://www.marinarium.com/

happy sailing

Mike

henderson
Level Contributor
778 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just looking for a simple sailing ride along the coast

From Ocean Blue...I would recommend hiring a water taxi and tell them what you want...enjoy

Simcoe, Canada
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just looking for a simple sailing ride along the coast

Patt right next to your resort on the otherside of the vendors you can rent Zodiacs. First time I have seen them and they looked like fun. That's an option or as stated water taxi for sure...

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
129 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just looking for a simple sailing ride along the coast

Thanks Mike, I think I found it. the Happy Hour cruise at Marinarium sounds like what I'm looking for. Only 3 hours or so and it looks like it's just a 30 minute drive from Ocean Blue. Sounds perfect. I'll check it out with our Funjet rep when we get there.

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,021 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just looking for a simple sailing ride along the coast

I saw that sail, also. It sounds more like a party, atmosphere. Hence, Happy Hour. I am not sure that is what you said you wanted.

Barb

10. Re: Just looking for a simple sailing ride along the coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2014, 05:17