We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help nneded on choosing a resort - please

Ely, UK
Level Contributor
395 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Help nneded on choosing a resort - please

I have been to punta cana once before and stayed at Dreams palm beach. We are looking to return but I am having difficulty choosing a resort we loved DPB but would like to choose somewhere new and therefore different.

I have narrowed it down to four.

1, Ambar

2. Riu Macao

3. Majestic colonial club

4. Catalonia royal bavaro

We like nice beaches, shade, a choice of restaurants and good water not veryrough.

Please give me your thoughts on wich you would choose and why?

TIA

Jo

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
14,872 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help nneded on choosing a resort - please

Ambar would be my recommendation

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
753 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Help nneded on choosing a resort - please

I would also recommend Ambar ...great resort...

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help nneded on choosing a resort - please

We've also been to Dreams Palm Beach and liked it a lot. Of the ones you've listed, we've been twice to the Ambar and really liked it and it would meet your list of requirements. If you want flat calm water like DPB, then the Cat Royale would be a better choice - the ocean at the Riu, Ambar and Majestic would be fairly wavy - I wouldn't call it rough but some people might think it is.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help nneded on choosing a resort - please

Catalonia Royal would suit. The water is very calm. Tons of shade so no need to get up early to grab a lounger with shade.

P C
Ladysmith, Canada
Level Contributor
891 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help nneded on choosing a resort - please

Have been to both Ambar and Catalonia. Ambar's water is not "rough" [Excellence would be my definition of too rough], but there can be a day here or there where it is less inviting. If "calm" ocean water is your preference - Catalonia is the place to be. Beautiful beach, lots of shade (palapas and palms), calm water and soft-white sand. There is also a good selection of restaurants when including the "Bavaro" family section [you have access to them too]. In light of your criteria - I would go with Catalonia.

PC

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,974 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help nneded on choosing a resort - please

I don't think any of those would be too rough in terms of the surf. It's calmer at Catalonia though, and shallow. It's more crowded on the beach at Bahia, but more options. Any of them would work. It depends on what appeals to you.

Catalonia is just down the beach from Dreams Palm Beach. That and Majestic might be most similar to your Dreams experience.

Mark

Ely, UK
Level Contributor
395 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help nneded on choosing a resort - please

Thank you all for the responses so far it has given me soom food for thought.

Massapequa, New York
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help nneded on choosing a resort - please

Not a fan of Riu resorts at all

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
213 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help nneded on choosing a resort - please

I realize you're looking for calmer water, however, if you're looking for a different experience this time, then I would rule out Catalonia, only because it's close to DPB and the other 3 resorts you mentioned are on a completely different stretch of beach. Yes, there's more wave action at these 3, however, personally I wouldn't say it was rough. Majestic or Ambar would be good choices IMO.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help nneded on choosing a resort - please

While Catalonia is within the Cabeza de Toro area it isn't all that close to DPB. It's a couple of miles away and stands alone with no hotels on either side except for the sister hotel. The beach is uncrowded and you can walk for miles and barely see another person. It's not the same as DPB at all.