We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is November hurricane season?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Is November hurricane season?

We're thinking of vacationing from November 11-19. Is this a bad time of year and high-risk for hurricanes?

Harrison, Maine
Level Contributor
202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is November hurricane season?

It is hurricane season in November but I have seen that a number of people are planning trips to the Dominican that month that have been there a number of times and they don't seem to be overly concerned.

Daytona Beach, Fl
Level Contributor
824 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is November hurricane season?

I live in Daytona Beach and the official hurricane season is from August to November here. I'm pretty sure it's the same in all the Caribbean islands. Those babies usually start there and make their way over to our neck of the woods. Yikes...3 ugly ones here last year.

Harrison, Maine
Level Contributor
202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is November hurricane season?

You may want to check into the insurance and see if it covers hurricanes.

venlo nederlands
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is November hurricane season?

the hurricansaison in the dome.area starts official frome late june till begin okt. went last year from 28june till13juli and hate only couple rainschowers. however the riviera maya was not so lucky thy hate to evacuate the tourist for the hurricain emely it was i believe.mide july if i remeber it wright. so it depense every year its different.

Medford, New Jersey
Level Contributor
298 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is November hurricane season?

It is the tail end of the hurricane season in the gulf. I was in PC last year at the same time and the weather was perfect. The sea was a little rough from a storm out in the gulf, but our weather in PC was perfect every day.

Paul G.

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is November hurricane season?

Okay, so would you risk booking a trip in mid-November?

Travel insurance does cover hurricanes, but I am hoping we won't need to worry about that...I would hate to have to cancel our trip!

Harrison, Maine
Level Contributor
202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Is November hurricane season?

If I had a chance to go to the Dominican in November I would do it in a heart beat. Life is a gamble, roll the dice!!

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is November hurricane season?

finishpro...you're right!

Harrison, Maine
Level Contributor
202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Is November hurricane season?

Have a great trip and drink some cocoloco's for me. God I miss them!

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
751 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Is November hurricane season?

I live in FL.

The official hurricane season is from June 1-Nov 30. With that said, hurricanes come whenever mother nature feels leashing her wrath. Last year we had hurricanes so late in the year and we had so many that we ran out of the alphabet. We had to go into the Greek alphabet. That is actually unusual. The most active part of the season is Aug-Oct. By November the waters start cooling down and there are less storms. However, if the trend continues, anyone going during the hurricane season is taking their chances. I'm not trying to deter you from visiting the Caribbean, just giving facts.