We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanctuary Cap Cana or Sotogrande condo for 90 year old

Montreal
Level Contributor
200 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Sanctuary Cap Cana or Sotogrande condo for 90 year old

I need to make a final decision today about taking my mother away for her 90 th Birthday in April. She enjoys swimming and gentie walking. After narrowing down the possibilities, the choice is either Sanctuary Cap Cana with all the meals or an ocean front condo at Sotogrande. At Sotogrande, she is steps from the pool as well as the ocean. I will have to do all the cooking and perhaps take a shuttle to a restaurant once or twice. I do not want to rent a car. My mother does not need the luxury of Sanctuary. I would ask for the ocean view rooms as it is too far to walk from the castle rooms. I am concerned that it might be too difficult to navigate on the cobblestones (especially if it rains) and that everything will be too far to walk to in the heat. I could also order room service for breakfast as walking to a restaurant for breakfast will require a lot of effort. I need to avoid food poisoning at all costs. Would she need to be vaccinated against hepatitis? I would rather not have to .Any thoughts? Thanks

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,079 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sanctuary Cap Cana or Sotogrande condo for 90 year old

Are those the only two options or will you consider others? One that comes to mind is Punta Cana Princess. It's a very compact resort, all-inclusive, so no cooking responsibilities on you. Once she's at the beach or pool for the day, she can eat breakfast and/or lunch at the beach buffet. The main buffet at the lobby end, and the specialty restaurants are all a short stroll away.

Montreal
Level Contributor
200 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sanctuary Cap Cana or Sotogrande condo for 90 year old

I did consider everything. I ruled out Princess because they have mosquitoes, and I want to stay away from beach vendors and crowds on the beach. Sorry, bit I am very picky. My mother also walks with a cane and suffers from memory loss. I have to keep things extra simple for myself. Trip is more glorified babysitting.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,079 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sanctuary Cap Cana or Sotogrande condo for 90 year old

The mosquitoes don't know to stay on or off any particular property. I don't really understand that logic. But, ok.....

I spent a week at PCP and didn't encounter any crowds. Don't really recall beach vendors there, either. It's a really quiet, sedate, laid back resort.

But, you've got your two options established, so nevermind.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sanctuary Cap Cana or Sotogrande condo for 90 year old

take the Sanctuary and as not to worry for the Lady to slip on the floors after a shower, arrange with the property for a Golf Cart, they are readily available, can be rented, and that way you can bring your mother around the small Bouthique Hotel in an eyeblink from point A-B.

contact them directly and ask for that option, it is available, and you will have a fabulous and hassle free time with Mom at that beautiful property.

i would recommend to not consider a condo stay like the mentioned Sotogrande, to come around you need transportation there, aside of the extra transportation for the Mother of so wonderful age, to cook all meals every day would take away from your time to spend with the family, don't do that.

have a wonderful stay on the island

Mike

Montreal
Level Contributor
200 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sanctuary Cap Cana or Sotogrande condo for 90 year old

Thanks, Mike. Yes, it is a pain to cook and yes, I would be stuck at Sotogrande. It cost a fortune to get to the grocery store.However I just read a recent report on Sanctuary that warns that the place is too huge for the elderly and that it takes forever to get a golf cart. Don't forget that the elderly are not that fussy about food-my mom likes it bland, does not want to wait 2 hours to get fed or walk . I have also been warned that the cobblestones are everywhere and get slippery when wet! That is why I am confused and worried about the selection.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,304 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sanctuary Cap Cana or Sotogrande condo for 90 year old

Hi

We have been to Sanctuary three times now and personally would not call it huge. There are loads of centrally located accommodation - what rook type were you thinking of booking???

There are always golf carts whizzing about and I am sure transportation would not be too much of a problem with a little forward planning and organisation

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sanctuary Cap Cana or Sotogrande condo for 90 year old

slippery tiles are present at most resorts, specially near the pools.

the sanctuary is one of the smallest hotels in Punta Cana.

you can arrange for your own GolfCart rental, so it will be available for your family 24/7 to be used to bring Mom around and also to visit other locations in Cap Cana like the Marina Area with it's restaurants and shops.

an other very small property would be the Zoetry, it is located further away from the airport, very small, very good, but there the short distances have to be walked, as far as i know you can not rent GolfCarts there.

the same for very most of PC Hotels, you can't rent your own permanent Golfcart, which I see as a advantage of a Toy to bring a elderly Mom around to what ever spot the Family want's to visit, she could join you everywhere.

Mike

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,304 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sanctuary Cap Cana or Sotogrande condo for 90 year old

Mike I have never seen any golf carts at Zoetry

The other contender may be Eden Roc as each villa has it's own golf cart and the resort is very compact

Marco Island...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sanctuary Cap Cana or Sotogrande condo for 90 year old

I have been to Sanctuary three times, twice with my fther who could barely walk. Sanctuary had a wheelchair that I was able to use for the duration of our stay and even loaded the wheelchair into the golf cart so I didn't have to push.

Casa Bella, Pool Bar and Blue Marlin are in close proximity to one another, as are Capriccio, The Love Bar and the Steakhose. The only restaurant away from the main area is Wok, and they also have 24 hour room service.

When I think of Punta Cana, cooking is the LAST thing I'd want to do!

N. Atlanta
Level Contributor
879 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sanctuary Cap Cana or Sotogrande condo for 90 year old

Are you set on DR or would you try another island? Seems like with your budget, you might find something closer to what you desire.