We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hard Rock vs. Barcelo Bavaro Deluxe

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
133 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hard Rock vs. Barcelo Bavaro Deluxe

Hard Rock has been getting Alot of bad reviews, filthy pools, bugs in the rooms, and food is terrible....Bavaro seems to have alot more positive reviews....wondering which would be better? they are both large resorts, with kids water park, alot of restaurants, great beaches. Any suggestions?

N. Atlanta
Level Contributor
879 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hard Rock vs. Barcelo Bavaro Deluxe

Is price a consideration, because the Hard Rock is way more expensive

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
133 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hard Rock vs. Barcelo Bavaro Deluxe

No price is not a consideration.

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hard Rock vs. Barcelo Bavaro Deluxe

Read my "Live' thread from two week stay

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,037 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hard Rock vs. Barcelo Bavaro Deluxe

We were at Hard Rock last June and loved it so much that we are returning in 12 days and are very excited. We found the food good, there are so many options that surely you can find something you like. The resort in June was immaculate, the pools were cleaned at night and the resort was at 100% occupancy when we were there.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hard Rock vs. Barcelo Bavaro Deluxe

2 totaly different sections of beach... hard rock, very nice white sand and blue water.. but bigger waves. BobNH just went and mentioned they r building something in the water to reduce the waves...

BBPD has super calm water white sand...

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
133 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hard Rock vs. Barcelo Bavaro Deluxe

Thanks for the responses.... Bob ummm i just read your live thread and well... i think.... u need a vacation from your vacation! lol! that was very nice of you to post daily and answer questions on "your" vacation!

I am wondering are the waves and undertow just as bad as they are in Cancun. We stayed at Beach palace last year and it was just rediculous the waves and undertoe! is HR just as bad? the little things at a resort don't bother us, but the food, pools and water are big to us.

So i was wondering what they were like at each of these resorts.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hard Rock vs. Barcelo Bavaro Deluxe

We stayed at Cancun Palace Christmas 2009 and Hard Rock 2011 and I think the wave action is pretty comparable. Our entire family except for grandma who just watched, loved it. Somedbhbay s were more intense than others. I have very sensitive eyes and can't be in the water without sunglasses. I lost plenty, which is why I only buy cheap ones! My girls started wearing their shorts because the bathing suit bottoms were coming down.

From Hard Rock, looking at the ocean, turn right and walk 10 - 15 minutes around the bend and those resorts had almost total calm waters.

P.S. At Christmas, pool and ocean much warmer in DR than Cancun.

Edited: 05 February 2013, 16:45
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hard Rock vs. Barcelo Bavaro Deluxe

check out this map... the further north u go.. the bigger the waves... south super calm. just depends on what you like.. in the middle you will find a good balance.. nice waves, but nothing crazy. I never found undertow an issue but never stayed as far as the hard rock..

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hard Rock vs. Barcelo Bavaro Deluxe

would help if i posted the map righ!!

puntacanatv.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/P…

lettssgoooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,037 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hard Rock vs. Barcelo Bavaro Deluxe

We swam the entire week at Hard Rock. Thought the waves were fun! Also swam at Beach Palace. Grew up in Nova Scotia and Massachusetts though so I am used to rough waters.