We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Cana City

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia...
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Punta Cana City

I am traveling to Punta Cana at the end of March 2013 and will be staying at Hard Rock. I was looking for some advice about "the city". In other words, the area in Punta Cana that has the most shops, restraunts and bars. Does anybody know how far this area is from Hard Rock? How safe is it? Is it fun? What are the places I should check out when going there?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,892 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta Cana City

City??? its hardly even a town!!!

"In other words, the area in Punta Cana that has the most shops, restaurants and bars"

PC is not really that sort of destination - it is mostly AI resorts and not built up like Cancun or Montego Bay, etc

Edited: 06 February 2013, 23:25
Shediac, Canada
Level Contributor
735 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Punta Cana City

There are various excursions (half day or day trips) you can do, you can make arrangements at the resort. There is also the Club Imagine or Image, not sure of name and most resorts will help you make arrangements for travel to get there and back. Check out "Things to Do" in the upper left of this page. As far as a City, there is none, as Flip Flop stated. Punta Cana is a coastline area of resorts. I'm sure you will find lots to do regardless.

Atlanta, Georgia...
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Punta Cana City

Got it. This is my first time in PC and was not sure. It sounds like you summed it up pretty well. I appreciate the tip!

Brantford, Canada
Level Contributor
333 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Punta Cana City

Punta Cana is basically "the airport" .

Leeds, Engalnd
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Punta Cana City

hey

i went out in a small area called Friusa in the Punta Cana area, here there was, some shops, bars etc, it's not a big place but great for an hour or two to wonder round off resort and grab a beer , also cheap to purchase cig's / alcohol etc

Also on a night there are some good spots to drink / party, with steve's bar, the carwash, cool bar and club (very late night)

it was $12 in a taxi or 200 pesos on a moto to get there from the Grand Bahia Resort and as the Hard rock is the next resort up it should not be too much more ...

hope this helps

Edited: 08 February 2013, 16:53
Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Punta Cana City

Punta Cana on the Map is the very large Area of Grupo Punta Cana, containing the privately owned Intl Airport, the national airport section and the attached Intl VIP Airport for the private Jets, Arrecife, Los Corales, Club Med, Tortuga Bay, Punta Cana Resort&Club, Punta Cana Marina and of course Punta cana Village.

PC Village is a large Residencial with the Nacional Supermarket, a good number of very good restaurants, Bars, coffee shops and a top Intl private school named Centro Educativo Punta Cana.

all that is located on the same very large property aside the Airport.

furthermore, with the Area progressing during the Decades and hotels beeing built all around(from PC Northwards), it is since then common/usual that the whole Area from Punta Cana to Uvero Alto is by travel agencies and more and more also by locals named "Punta Cana".

a beautiful countryside on the Oceanfront, built along the Beaches over many miles.

happy travels

Mike

Eastern Canada
Level Contributor
914 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Punta Cana City

There are a couple "centres" where you can go to do some craft shopping. Plaza Bavaro or Cortaceito are both great choices. You will probably have to take a taxi from your resort.

Also the Playa Real complex has upscale shopping. I haven't been there but heard it is full of high priced designer wear.

There are also the many craft markets on the beach.

Remember to barter for your crafts!

Atlanta, Georgia...
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Punta Cana City

Greet information! Thanks Ana-Maria, Mike and JamaicaSun. I will use all of your advice and find the best area to explore for just a little bit of my time. I just didn't want to spend my entire vacation on the resort. This Forum rocks!!!

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Punta Cana City

maps to help you get around http://puntacanatv.com/maps

10. Re: Punta Cana City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2014, 06:17