We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All Inclusives - Food?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
All Inclusives - Food?

Is the food really "That Bad"? For the past 5 yrs. we've been going to Riv. Maya and love it there, however, we'd like to try somewhere similar yet different. I think the food at the A/I's in Mexico is pretty good/ can be repetitive, but generally enjoyable. I've been researching Punta Cana All-Inclusives - It sounds like the beach is BEAUTIFUL, but almost every post that I read has BAD reviews about the food. Is it really "that bad"? How is the food compared to Riviera Maya?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,620 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All Inclusives - Food?

Hi

We have been to both Mexico and Punta Cana several times and whilst I would agree that the food in Mexico is generally better than in Punta Cana we have honestly found that if you go to a decent AI and perhaps spend a little more money in doing so you can get some very good food

Which resorts have you been looking at???

Warminster...
Level Contributor
308 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All Inclusives - Food?

We've been to the Bahia Principe in both Riveria Maya and Punta Cana. I'd say the food is a little better in Punta Cana. Never had a problem with food in either. As you said it does get a little boring but that's why we use ala cartes occasionally. The beach is much better in Punta Cana.

Chris

Edited: 06 February 2013, 23:18
3. Re: All Inclusives - Food?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 February 2013, 00:05
Edited: 07 February 2013, 00:05
Newfoundland
Level Contributor
481 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All Inclusives - Food?

I have been to DR 6 times and I haven't had bad food any where. I would have to rate Bahia Principe Bavaro as my least favorite but I certainly wasn't hungry there (ala cartes were much better than buffet).

Texas
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All Inclusives - Food?

I've read reviews from Bahia Principe and Barcelo.....most reviews say food is bad - i was kind of surprised to hear this of Barcelo.

We've stayed at both GBP and Barcelo properties in Riviera Maya and would consider them to be 3.5 to 4.5 stars depending on which section you stay in.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
526 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All Inclusives - Food?

I wouldn't say the food is bad, but it's not good, but it'll do. They've got the presentation down great, but the food (especially deserts) often looks better than it tastes. The ice cream is great!

Texas
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All Inclusives - Food?

L'Net.....This is the issue I have - why spend all that $$$ on a resort/vacation with sub-par or just ok food that "will do" - We need to eat three meals a day for maybe 7 days. I'll have to keep reading through the reviews - hopefully, I come across more positive food reviews!

Thanks everyone.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,620 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: All Inclusives - Food?

Perhaps you need to look at resorts such as Excellence, Secrets, Zoetry, Iberostar Grand, Sanctuary Cap Cana, etc

Even here in the UK you can easily find some restaurants /hotels where I would consider the food to be just OK. I can also find some very upmarket dining experiences

Many people who travel expect the food to be the same as they get back in their home country - it mostly wouldn't be

What is your budget per night not taking account of the airfare???

Edited: 07 February 2013, 10:18
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
2,414 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: All Inclusives - Food?

An AI vacation is typically a budget vacation. Unless you plan on staying at the higher end resorts as pointed pointed out by flipflop_man, you can expect to see typical buffet quality food.

I like to break down the cost of the vacation to see what is typically left for the resort to pay for what they are providing us per day:

Typical AI vacation for a week: $1500

Flight: $650 (will vary, this seems like a reasonable average)

Room: $525 (week, $75 per night, $150 double accupancy)

Airport/resort Transfers: $40

That's brings us to a total of $1215 so far, leaving the resort a budget of $285 to pay for food, drinks, entertainment. That's worls out to $38/day (7.5 days) to cover for breakfast, lunch, supper, snacks, drinks, entertainment.

Helps to put things in a more realistic light as to what to expect when you look at it from that point of view. IMO, I feel the resorts do a fantastic job with what they provide for such a low budget.

Happy travels.

Edited: 07 February 2013, 10:35
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
629 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: All Inclusives - Food?

Of course it depends on the resort you choose.I would give the edge to Riviera Maya for food.I did stay at the Majestic Colonial in DR and thought for an All Inclusive the food was very good!