We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Potential Problems for those flying home right now...

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
13,608 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Potential Problems for those flying home right now...

Listening to CFRB 1010 online and apparently people who have landed in Toronto over the past few hours are stranded on the aircraft, as they have no gates to handle them. They are focusing on this story right now. One guy has been sitting on the ground for over 4 hours now and it appears to only be getting worse. If you are picking someone up tonight or expecting them home...chances are they are going to be pretty grumpy when you see them.

Cheers

PCMike

Edited: 09 February 2013, 02:47
Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Potential Problems for those flying home right now...

There was another flight that was stuck on the tarmac for 11 hours....loaded for flight out this morning at 6:20am, but couldn't get clearance out ! To make matters worse, the plane had sat so long on the tarmac, that it couldn't even move back into a gate, as it's wheel mechanisms were frozen.

(this info from CityTV 6pm)

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
214 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Potential Problems for those flying home right now...

No kidding Mike, it's been bad. My son's flight out of Toronto was scheduled for 3:05pm today and his plane finally took off at 8:40pm, 51/2 hours delayed (headed to Puerto Vallarta). I know he's one of the lucky ones because he only sat on the plane for 21/2 hours before takeoff. He texted that his Sunwing flight was in a long lineup for de-icing.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,202 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Potential Problems for those flying home right now...

I thought we had a law where the airline could no longer hold you hostage on a plane for more than 2 hours.... or is that a myth?

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
13,608 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Potential Problems for those flying home right now...

That is...if they have a place to get you off the plane! LOL

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Potential Problems for those flying home right now...

I believe there was a problem with available gates.

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Potential Problems for those flying home right now...

Daughter & family finally home from Punta Cana. They were suppose to depart PUJ with Transat at 11pm on Feb 7th....arrived home this morning Feb 9th at 6am. Don't know any other details.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,202 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Potential Problems for those flying home right now...

This is where PUJ airport would rock... they would have those portable stairs up to the plane in no time, get you off, and spend your time and money IN the airport instead of a germ ridden enclosed capsule with one or two toilets and a short supply of water to go around.... just sayin LOL

Ottawa
Level Contributor
768 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Potential Problems for those flying home right now...

Deb, no kidding. Just think of all the money that could have been made using airport facilities if only the wait was indoors.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
95 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Potential Problems for those flying home right now...

Suck Wing airlines.. thats incredibly inhumane!!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
95 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Potential Problems for those flying home right now...

Everything at the Halifax Stanfield International airport is shut down today and tonight and into tomorrow.... nothing is coming or going. Everything on the boards are RED.

However Sunwing has it up that they are getting out tomorrow morning at 6am to Cancun ???? My buddies are flying with them on that flight and i know one of them will lose his s**t if he has to sit on the plane - on the tarmac for hours and hours.

Edited: 09 February 2013, 22:53