We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Majestic Elegance or Riu Palace Bavaro?

Pennington Gap
Level Contributor
67 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Majestic Elegance or Riu Palace Bavaro?

Can't decide. If someone can give me some input on both resorts that would be great. We have previously been to Punta Cana twice and have stayed at Bahia Principe Ambar both times and loved it.

Thanks for the help!

Seminole, Florida
Level Contributor
616 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Majestic Elegance or Riu Palace Bavaro?

Haven't stayed at RIU Palace Bavaro or Ambar, but have stayed at RIU Palace Macao and Majestic Elegance. If you like a more "overly opulent" look, then RIUs are for you. However, the rooms at both resorts are lovely. Both resorts have a lovely beach, but RIU has more natural shade from the palms.

If I stayed at ME, it would only be in the Elegance Club section.

Also, the ala carte restaurants at ME are much nicer, while the evening buffets at RIU are much nicer. So, depends on your dining preference. One thing that drove me nuts both times we stayed at ME was that the buffet, both during breakfast and lunch, played non-stop Kenny G--I'm not a big fan & it got very tiring after several days

ME's swim-up bar is not in the Elegance Club section, and, therefore, has kids, while the swim up bar at RPM is right there and adults only. The beach bar is no longer present at RPM. The beach/pool bar at ME in the Elegance Club is very accessible to both the pool and beach.

Please note that, both times I've stayed at ME's Elegance Club in the Elle section, so that is all I can reference. There is also the Ella section of the Elegance Club, on the other side of the resort, but still very close to the ocean.

Feel free to pm me with any questions.

Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
4,160 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Majestic Elegance or Riu Palace Bavaro?

There has been a third club section at ME since May, 2011. It has a swim up bar in that portion of club that was added after they converted regular rooms to club rooms in that area. So, you can get swim up bar without kids. Both the "Ella" and "Elle" club areas are located directly on the beach.

Seminole, Florida
Level Contributor
616 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Majestic Elegance or Riu Palace Bavaro?

Thanks Desiwood,

We were there 9/12 and were not made aware of the adults-only swim-up bar. Wish I'd known. Shame on the resort management for not making return guests aware of the new addition.

Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
4,160 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Majestic Elegance or Riu Palace Bavaro?

So sorry to hear Fran that you didn't know of all the facilities and offerings. We got to enjoy the new club pool and wet bar when we were there in November, 2011. It was recently completed at the time with some stuff still being finalized, like Bali Beds. I blame your butler for not letting you know, especially since I don't think the new pool/bar/etc. was shown on the "passport" at the time of your visit. One of the few complaints I have about ME is that I think they offer much more than many guests ever discover on their own. Hubby and I walk around the entire property on each visit looking at what's new. There's always new stuff. I think the resort can do better to let guests know what's offered. I'm still amzed that many club guests think they have to use the club pools/lounge/bars in the area nearest their rooms. All club guests can use all club facilities.

Seminole, Florida
Level Contributor
616 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Majestic Elegance or Riu Palace Bavaro?

Desiwood,

Yes, our butler should have informed us.

Unfortunately, on that trip (for our anniversary, or I would have waited) I was only 6 weeks post hip replacement. Ergo, VERY little walking around. In fact, we called for a golf cart from the Elle section to the restaurants, since it was too long of a walk for me.

I love the Elle section and don't wander about alot, even on our previous visit, as this was not my first hip replacement. But, I would have really enjoyed knowing about an adult-only swim-up bar and would have utilized it at least a few of the days. My MO is: beach all morning, swim-up bar after lunch, siesta, then start over-indulging all over again. What a life!

Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
4,160 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Majestic Elegance or Riu Palace Bavaro?

Fran,

Next time you'll know about the swim up bar and won't have had another hip replacement! Best of both worlds. HaHa Hope you have recovered.

You're making me want to return just thinking about beach, bar, pool, over indulging.....Oh, yeh, I have already locked those plans in. Yippeee! I don't do the siesta thing though, not "officially", but those Bali Beds are comfortable and I have been told by others that they stopped by to chat and I was sound asleep.

N.Huntingdon, PA
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Majestic Elegance or Riu Palace Bavaro?

My husband and I are planning for our annual trip in Feb. 2014. We are undecided as to which resort to choose between the RIU Palace Bavaro, which we have been to in 2012, or the Majestic Elegance. We are not planning on upgrading to the Preferred Club as the rates have been increasing every time we check them (daily). If anyone has any feedback comparing the two please help us out. We walked to the ME and the MC to check out the grounds and found both to look very nice but different from the RPB. Thanks for anyone's opinion. We look forward to meeting people and just having a good time away from the winter here in PA.

N.Huntingdon, PA
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Majestic Elegance or Riu Palace Bavaro?

Also, anyone know the cost to purchase the WiiFi for 7 days at the Majestic Elegance? It is included at the RIU Palace Bavaro.

Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
4,160 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Majestic Elegance or Riu Palace Bavaro?

If you are staying in the Club section at ME, there is free internet in your room and in the three club lounges. The lounges have computers you can use and free wi-fi. In your room, you have to provide your own device. If you bring a router, you can get wi-fi in the room. In non-club level, you can get internet in room for $10 a day. Again, you have to supple device and cable. They will give you a cable for a returnable deposit. Non-club guests can also get wi-fi in lobby only for a fee.

Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
4,160 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Majestic Elegance or Riu Palace Bavaro?

If you are staying in the Club section at ME, there is free internet in your room and in the three club lounges. The lounges have computers you can use and free wi-fi. In your room, you have to provide your own device. If you bring a router, you can get wi-fi in the room. In non-club level, you can get internet in room for $10 a day. Again, you have to supple device and cable. They will give you a cable for a returnable deposit. Non-club guests can also get wi-fi in lobby only for a fee.