We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Know where you are travelling to.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Know where you are travelling to.

I'm going to put my 2 cents worth here. I'll start off saying Hard Rock is not now or will ever be on my radar as a place to stay. Not my style.

I feel bad for this resort. Broken pipes have happened elsewhere in Punta Cana from time to time. Sometimes you turn on the shower or tap and nothing comes out. The electricity sometimes doesn't work and same for the internet service. If you have water it may not always be hot when you want it. Ac is struggling to keep ahead of the heat and humidity and it breaks. Dominican Republic is NOT the USA nor Canada. It is a developing nation with less than ideal infrastructure. When things break they don't always get fixed in a hurry like at home. All too often parts aren't readily available and have to be ordered.

I'm posting this remind folks where they have booked vacations. Stuff happens out of the control of the resorts and it doesn't care if you're staying at a 3 or 5 star location in DR. Guess I'm saying cut HR some slack over their water problem. Next week/month/year it could be IBG, Majestic, Sanctuary or even Grand Paradise having water woes.

Nahville, TN
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Know where you are travelling to.

Clap, Clap, Clap Well said!!

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,963 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Know where you are travelling to.

Bravo and thank you.

BObK

Ellicott City MD
Level Contributor
2,896 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Know where you are travelling to.

Exactly Marg.

Learn the term "roll with the punches"

Ellicott City MD
Level Contributor
2,896 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Know where you are travelling to.

Majestic DID have water issues last week!

Thier main boiler blew up and they were very short on hot water

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,141 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Know where you are travelling to.

I understand what you're saying, Marg.... but for how long will fans of PC tolerate these types of lapses, and defend and/or forgive resorts for things that would not be tolerated elsewhere in the Caribbean (or in tourist destinations around the world)? We are so willing to excuse the resorts for these issues..... so where is there motivation to do better? To step it up? Are they satisfied with providing an "almost great" experience? Or do they aspire to be a real player in the tourist industry, with the same standards as the better resort destinations in the Caribbean?

Don't get me wrong... I love PC. My expectations are in check, when I travel there. But... WHY do my expectations have to be in check, year after year? What is preventing the tourist industry from stepping it up? Surely enough traffic and $$ are flowing through the area. Is it because most (if not all) of the resorts are foreign owned and the money doesn't stay in country to improve the infrastructure?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
841 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Know where you are travelling to.

I agree with poozieny. If I'm paying THOUSANDS for 7-10 days it better GREAT, not almost great. If I had no hot water for 2 out of the 7 days I can assure you there's no way I'd go to that resort again, my review would certainly not be 5 stars and if anyone asks I would not recommend that hotel. When I'm paying that much money, it better not have too many hiccups. I understand "rolling with the punches," but I'm not very tolerant and I'm sure not many people are either. If I were paying $1000 I could roll with the punches, but if I'm paying $4-$5K for my only vacation a year, sorry, not rolling with the punches - you can start yelling now :)

Ellicott City MD
Level Contributor
2,896 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Know where you are travelling to.

LOL @ Regina!

No yelling.

I was just stating that while these things can and do happen and I try to make the best of it.

In all my travels I have had some inconveniences along the way but I try very hard not to sweat the small stuff.

Yes....lack of hot water would be a royal pain but wouldn't it be hilarious to take a bar of soap to the pool??

Thats just my attitude.

I'm not at work!

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,141 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Know where you are travelling to.

Just so long as we understand that Regina and I are NOT entirely on the same page.....and when I discuss or recommend PC to friends or family, I do it only with many disclaimers.... I try to describe accurately, the "rough around the edges" aspect.

Again....I understand that PC is still developing, but when do we stop offering excuses? When can expectations be, what I would consider to be "normal" for a resort holiday? (includes basics like hot water)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Know where you are travelling to.

The problem isn't unique to Punta Cana or DR. You just don't hear about it unless it happens to a resort you happen to frequent. I'm a travel junkie who has been on the road for 45 years. I've experienced the "senora, the pipe she break" in more than one location. Flickering/dim/broken electricity is the norm for many countries. As bad as the tourist thinks they have it the harsh reality is for the people who live there it can be much worse. North Americans and most Europeans are spoiled. Every once in awhile when something goes wrong we get a taste of everyday life of the local population.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Know where you are travelling to.

kd has the right attitude! Grab some soap and go bathe in the pool or the sea. Ask for a bucket and get water from the pool to flush your toilet.

If you want a 99% guarantee that your hard earned money won't be wasted vacation in Florida, Arizona or California.