We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

honeymoon on a budget

Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
honeymoon on a budget

My fiance and I are planning a honeymoon in August and would love to go to Punta Cana. Our initial budget for flight and hotel (all-inclusive) was 1, 000-1, 000 dollars each to save room for excursions.

We received a quote for Majestic colonial club jr suite swimup and after taxes, flight, insurance, excursions (horseback riding, Atv, catamaran, and deep sea fishing) it all came to a total of $4, 000.

We understand that for all the amenities, that is an ideal price but could anybody recommend a place that has the "romantic" and party scene for less? We don't NEED a swimup or the butler service through colonial club but it sure sounded nice. Please help :)

Bavaro, Dominican...
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: honeymoon on a budget

Does anything come up within your budget? Have a look on sites like expedia to get an idea of what's available at that price, Barcelo Dominican Beach is a good budget resort in my opinion but see what else comes up.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: honeymoon on a budget

Have a look at Catalonia Royal Bavaro and Punta Cana Princess. Depending on time of year travelling both should be close to your budget, perhaps just a tad more. Both these resorts are adult only with the option of more action and party time at sister properties next door when you want it.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: honeymoon on a budget

Why not ask for a quote on the non club room no swim up or ocean view. That will save some money.

Colonial is really nice place for a honeymoon, romantic room with a tub in the room.

May I ask how long you are going for?

Each person is different and I understand you want to do excursions but make sure there is time for some relaxation swell.

If you have an activity every other day you run the risk of feeling hurried, days will do much much quicker when you run from one excursion to the next and limit your leisure time in the resort.

You might be surprised of how little you want to do because you are enjoying 'resort life'.

Horseback riding is fun but dont expect too much of it or dont get a too romantic idea of that activity. And although the ranch is really close by Colonial with the transportation time and such it will cost you the best part of a morning or afternoon.

So ask yourself this, maybe pick a less expensive room in this nice resort and skip an activity or two.

Quiet a few people I have met in resorts had big plans with excursions but once they arrive they are having such a good time within the resort that the 'need' to things outside the resort is not as much as what they first had.

Just a thought.

Amy

Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: honeymoon on a budget

Thanks! I will look into those.

I have been wedding planning and honeymoon planning for far too long now. :) I have done my research throughout tons of sites.

My "want" is a romantic feel, Jacuzzi, nice beach and amazing service. My fiance's would be more of a party atmosphere with lots of great food and drinks.

The only excursion we both feel like we can't pass on is deep sea fishing, so I think we could eliminate all but that.

We are going for 6 nights in August fron Charlotte.

Edited: 19 February 2013, 14:26
Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: honeymoon on a budget

Have a great honeymoon, I am sure you make the right choice in the end.

And when picking a resort for your honeymoon it is okay to go slightly over budget IMO (just break the bank :)

Amy

Arnprior, Canada
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: honeymoon on a budget

I agree with Amy on the excursions. Especially since you are only going for 6 days. With many of the excursions, you leave the hotel at 7 am and return back at 7 pm. If you do go deep sea fishing be sure to take gravol. Enjoy your honeymoon where ever you end up.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: honeymoon on a budget

When i first read your post, i thought that that budget might be tough, since the plain alone (for us) was $500pp. But the veterans on here are a big help... atleast they were to me when planning my honeymoon next week.

Are you 100% set on the dominican, because I went to Mexico for a fraction of what I am paying to go to the DR.... but that was a few of years ago, prices may not be the same

Edited: 19 February 2013, 14:35
Hartford...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: honeymoon on a budget

wow, meant "plane" ... its too early in the a.m.

Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: honeymoon on a budget

We have also looked into Mexico but from the information we got about DR we would just love to be there. I want the luxury and service that makes us feel like king and queen...I think I have too many "wants" for our budget... that tends to happen to me a lot :(

Hartford...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: honeymoon on a budget

Gotcha... well IMO the sun will feel just as warm whatever resort you pick. You will have to pick a basic room type, but it sounds like you dont plan on being indoors much anyway

Edited: 19 February 2013, 14:50