We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best All Inclusive - beautiful beach, good food and fun

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
66 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Best All Inclusive - beautiful beach, good food and fun

Looking for recommendations for best all inclusive resort for hubby and I to celebrate 50th birthday. Looking for beautiful beach, excellent food, flowing cocktails and good service. Adult Only preferred but no required, like a party vibe. So many choices, it's hard to decide!

Arnprior, Canada
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best All Inclusive - beautiful beach, good food and fun

Do you have a budget?

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,141 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best All Inclusive - beautiful beach, good food and fun

After "shopping around" for a bit, which of the resorts you've looked at seem like they'd be a good fit for you, considering price, size, decor... those sorts of things.

"Best" is so difficult. I mean, it's easy to just send you to Iberostar Grand Bavaro, as many consider it "best", but is it a good fit for everyone? Not really. Some (me) aren't attracted to the glitz, chrome and marble decor and want something with more tropical ambiance. Do you mind walking over from your adults-only resort to a sister resort which may be more of the party atmosphere you're looking for? Best of both worlds... quiet adults-only when you want it, lively family-party atmosphere when you want that.

So many things to consider. We all want great beach, great food, great cocktails, great service.... those requirements really don't narrow it down much.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
66 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best All Inclusive - beautiful beach, good food and fun

I should have been more specific! Looking for swimmable beach, lively atmosphere, swim up and beach bars. I have had people recommend Melia, Riu Palace Bavaro and Majestic Elegance. So many choices, even besides those, it's hard to pick one.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,135 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best All Inclusive - beautiful beach, good food and fun

Budget is key. What are you looking to spend?

Mark

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best All Inclusive - beautiful beach, good food and fun

Hubby took me to the Iberostar Grand Bavaro for my 50th. I do agree with post #2 that it is a very modern look and we also prefer a more tropical feel, but we still loved it and if it's within your budget, would definitely recommend. We also went to the Gran Bahia Ambar and loved it as well - more affordable than the Grand, but not the same level of luxury. Ambar beach is not as nice as the Grand - but we still really liked it. Both the Grand and Ambar are fairly low key as typically most adults-only resorts are, however, if you want more party vibe then you can always go over to their sister resorts (best of both worlds in my opinion).

We're going to the Melia next week, however, it's more of a family resort so may not be as special of a place for your celebration. I've heard great things about the Majestic Elegance (Elegance Club is adults-only). Don't know much about the Riu. As said in post #4, your budget will help us provide you with suggestions.

Edited: 21 February 2013, 16:44
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
66 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best All Inclusive - beautiful beach, good food and fun

Budget is not number one criteria, since this is a special occasion. Really just want the best experience. Beach we can float in the water, swim up bars and relaxation.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,135 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best All Inclusive - beautiful beach, good food and fun

Iberostar Grand Bavaro, Paradisus Palma Real (Royal Service), and Secrets Royal Beach would be a good place to start.

Mark

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
66 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best All Inclusive - beautiful beach, good food and fun

Starting to narrow down and have these three in mind thus far...Melia (personal referral from a friend, Excellence and Iberostar. Comments on each? Also, what resorts would have a beach front view/room where we don't have to walk a long way to get to the beach and pool area?

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best All Inclusive - beautiful beach, good food and fun

My Husband and I went to the Iberostar Grand last year and really enjoyed it. we are in the 40-50 age group and it was a very nice relaxing resort. Not a lot of noise and partying which is what we wanted. It is very Luxurious and we found the service very good. I have not been to the Excellence or Melia but I would definitely return. This year we are bring the kids so we are trying our Paradisus PC, but if you want to just chill and relax the Grand is perfect for that! Enjoy!!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,135 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best All Inclusive - beautiful beach, good food and fun

Excellence is my favorite, but it's not a float around in the ocean place. It's more of a play in the ocean place.

Melia isn't a place I'd consider for a 50th birthday. It's a good all purpose resort, but an adult only resort would be my preference for such an occasion.

Iberostar Grand Bavaro is posh, but it's expensive.

At Excellence, all of the rooms are close to the beach, and many are ocean view. This is because the resort is built along a very wide stretch of beach, as opposed to back from the beach. Most of the rooms are no more than a minute walk from the beach, and all rooms are very close to the pool.

Mark

Edited: 22 February 2013, 18:44