We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For tipping, should I use American money?

York Beach, Maine
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic

I am staying at an all inclusive in 2 months (Paradisus Punta Cana) and am not sure what I should know about tipping there. Do I need to exchange money or do they prefer our dollars for some reason? How much is appropriate to tip and when and to whom? thank you!

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,902 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: For tipping, should I use American money?

Use whatever is most convenient for you. The Dominican workers pay all their bills in Pesos but they are happy to go change currency as needed. They are all grateful at whatever Tips for service received.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: For tipping, should I use American money?

us dollars and dominican pesos are both the same fine for tipping, but of course only paper money, coins can not be exchanged here and would be worthless.

Mike

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,400 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: For tipping, should I use American money?

Yes, and lots of it! Great service at these places!

As Mike mentioned, NO COINS, and ALSO NO DAMAGED BILLS!! This applies to just about ANY other country.

Toronto
Level Contributor
225 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: For tipping, should I use American money?

My husband and I are heading to Punta Cana in three weeks. This will be our 5th trip to the Dominican Republic and we always bring a stack of U.S. $1.00 bills (at least 60 of them) and this lasts us the week. We usually tip the maid, the person who restocks the mini bar in our room (if you make special requests they usually honor them like an extra beer or two) and the guy serving the drinks on the beach. That way, he is always around when you need him. A dollar may not seem like very much to us, but to the staff it is a lot of money. Have fun!

Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: For tipping, should I use American money?

You should tip YEN or Pounds

Edited: 06 March 2013, 18:32
Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,902 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: For tipping, should I use American money?

Pounds work, Yen, not.

Winthrop, Maine
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: For tipping, should I use American money?

Hola fellow Maineac: We always bring US Dollars with us for all of our tipping. That seems to work the best. We have been doing it for 14 years. We usually tip a couple of dollars for the maid each day, and sometimes put a tip bythe fridge because at many places a different person re-stocks the fridge every day. At meals we also tip a couple of dollars. At the bars we occasionally tip a dollar to the bartender and/or server.

You will love the DR. We are planning our 14th trip for this coming November either at Catalonia Royal or Punta Cana Princess.

Good luck.

Mike & Cyndie - The Maineacs

Canaan,NY
Level Contributor
160 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: For tipping, should I use American money?

Always tip using dollar bills.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,821 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: For tipping, should I use American money?

Being British I don;t really understand the American obsession with tipping. I tip like Dominicans a small amount when it is fel appropriate. If you are spending 2 months there pace your self. Some contributors (North American) on this site tip over $500 in two weeks,- if you are there for 2 months you could end up with a lot of friends and an empty wallet.

Leeds, Engalnd
Level Contributor
2,918 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: For tipping, should I use American money?

Domingo ....the op is not staying for 2 months .....they are going in 2 months lol

i'm from UK too and have been traveling to DR for many yrs and it still suprises me how much the Americans and Canadians tip ...but suppose thats part and parcel of the culture where as it is not in the UK

I used to tip in dollar bills but then i though would i be happy if someone came to UK and tipped me with Euro's ??? Hell no i wouldn't so i now tip in Pesos this is the DR currancy plus it save the staff the problem of having to change it :-) ....usually tip 50 - 100 pesos a time :-)

have fun :-)